Dinner Tonight - Saturday??
  Re: (...)
The weather is not real warm (darn it!) and the zucchini are cooperating, so I'm going to make the Zucchini-Parmesan soup from the new Soups, Stews & Chilies Book. Maybe grill some corn for the 1st course, so it feels a little like summer.

Sunday brunch will be the quesadilla they suggest as a 'sidekick' - Scallion quesadilla.

What's everyone else up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by cjs (The weather is not r...)
I'm doing my dinner review tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm doing my dinner ...)
We're going with a group of friends to an Amish home for dinner. We have a substantial Amish community just south in Arthur, IL. One of Hubby's editors wrote a nice book about their lives last year.
[Image: 41dhoRjw-AL._SL160_AA115_.jpg]
She arranged the dinner. I'm expecting comfort food! The price is an offering, the expectation is about $15 per person. Should be fun.
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by HomeCulinarian (We're going with a g...)
That does sound fun! I can't wait for a report on this one. I guess pictures are out of the question.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by HomeCulinarian (We're going with a g...)
Quote:

[Image: 41dhoRjw-AL._SL160_AA115_.jpg]

Just curious: was the book printed using an electrically-operated printed press?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Last nite (I'm alone this week) I made an osso bucco with balsamic vinegar (from Tony's in Houston) and had part of a bottle of the barolo I got discounted.
Magnificent!! It's 100 outside--85 at nite--I just turn down the AC! Anyway--tonight I'm using the leftover, reduced cooking mixture from the osso bucco instead of a standard marinara and making Giada's parmesan portobello mushroom bake. Think I'll have a good salad with it. Oh, maybe finish the barolo--or save it and a bit of the mushroom for Jane--she was quite jealous when I told her about last nites meal (especially the wine). Pity.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by Old Bay (Last nite (I'm alone...)
LOL! I bet she was...LOL! That'll teach her to leave you alone for a week!

Osso bucco is one of those things I want to make this winter...if I can find the veal shanks. I don't even think I would be able to find beef.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! I bet she was....)
We are going to Holly's boss's 54th birthday party tonight. It is a "Texas Style" BBQ with a band and the whole bit. It is nearly 95 here today with a dew point and humidity to match so it is going to be a hot and sweaty evening that I am glad we don't even have to bbq at home. I am sure I will be asked to check everything before it is served since a great friend of mine is catering the party...I guess he is expecting nearly a thousand people at the party.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by firechef (We are going to Holl...)
We are having grilled rib-eyes and the butternut squash/leek dish that was posted yesterday. Now I forget who posted it.
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - Saturday?? by Trixxee (We are having grille...)
That would be Jean. You know, I have everything for that, so it may join my Guiness Pot Roast and polent tomorrow. Too much creamy stuff?
Daphne