Ropa Viejo?
  Re: (...)
I've got this on the menu for this week and have a couple questions. DD and boyfriend are coming to dinner, too, so I'm anxious for it to be a nice meal. (Although, the cheesecake that will be ready to slice that night should forgive anything...LOL! They missed out on the last one. The chunk I sent didn't make it.)

-Would I want to make this the day before for the flavors to meld, or not? I will be able to start it early in the morning.

-What would be a good side with this? I'm making the taco salad from the Sandwiches and Salads book the night before, so I may have leftovers of that...at least the veggies, but not an absolute.

-She has also mentioned a desire for guacamole. When I asked HER what kind of side, this is what she asked for..."It's green."...LOL! (I have had guacamole twice, many years ago, as a part of a layered dip. I was pregnant at the time AND may have also eaten too much of the dip, but it was the ONLY time I got sick out of 3 pregnancies...LOL!) That being said, anybody got a good homemade guacamole recipe they would share? I understand there's not much to it. And if you have something to put with it to make the appy more interesting....please share.

(After the avocado mousse last night and the muffaletta recipe, avocados and I are "friends" again...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ropa Viejo? by Gourmet_Mom (I've got this on the...)
Oh definitely - even the day before to let the flavors meld.
How about red beans and rice? or
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by cjs (Oh definitely - even...)
I thought making it the day before may be a good idea. Kinda like NC BBQ is always better later. I'll get the cheesecake done the AM the day before, then put the brisket on. I won't need the oven for the Taco Salad.

My southwestern recipes are very lacking (read non-existent), so if you have a recipe to sharefor a side, that would be great also.

I'm hoping to help William realize there's more to it than what Taco Bell offers...LOL! He's NEVER been a fan! The kids LOVE it ALL! When they go out to eat, that's one of their first picks because they don't/didn't get it at home...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Gourmet_Mom (I thought making it ...)
Guacamole

2 large avocados, halved, pitted & peeled, dice into 1 inch squares and squeeze lime juice over

1 small sweet onion, diced
3/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
juice of one small lime
1 garlic clove, minced
1 serrano chili with seeds and membranes, finely chopped
Kosher salt to taste (with cilantro and to adjust at end)
Fresh ground pepper
2 T corn oil

You can use a blender for everything but the avocados, just be sure you don't over blend. I much prefer the following--
Mash cilantro and salt in a mortar or molcajete.
Add onion,bell pepper, garlic,chili, and lime juice--mash, but leave small chunks.
Add avocados and mash coarsely--add pepper. Add oil.
Stir all together with a fork or spoon--adjust seasonings.

Serve with tortilla chips.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Old Bay (Guacamole[br][br]2 l...)
Thanks Bill! Copied and saved.

For a side, I've almost decided some of that freshly frozen corn on the cob may be good, but I'm still stuck with something else. I may entertain the beans and rice if somebody has something, or a bean something, or slaw?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Bill! Copied...)
Instead of corn, how about----
Corn,Tomato, Basil and Black Bean Salad

6 large ears corn cooked and kernals removed (or frozen equivalent)
1/2 C (packed) thinly sliced basil leaves
5 small tomatoes, seeded, chopped.
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed
3 T balsamic vinegar
3 T corn oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix and chill at least 3 hrs. Beautiful presentation--white or yellow, red, green, and black. Tastes as good as it looks----summertime.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Old Bay (Instead of corn, how...)
good idea Bill - I have one very similar and that would be really good, Daphne.

Here's a good red beans and rice - I would just omit the sausage since you have the meat in the other dish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size : 6

Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 pound fully cooked smoked sausage -- cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 15 ounce cans red beans -- drained and rinsed
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3 cups hot cooked rice
Sliced green onions (optional)
Hot pepper sauce (optional)

Heat Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes.

Add red beans, sausage, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper and pepper sauce. Cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes more or until thoroughly heated. Serve beans over rice. Top with green onions and serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.

----

Whenever you'd like to introduce William to real Mexican food, I've got some wonderful dishes that would show him how much more to this type of food.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by cjs (good idea Bill - I h...)
Wow, thanks you guys! I have both copied and saved. I'll let the kids pick, but I'm leaning toward the salad right now. I'll be making the red beans and rice soon, though. It just so happens, I have a pound and a half of unused kielbasa. I doubled up on myself for the paella recipe and it just used a half pound. And I think I can just sub some of my roasted tomatoes whirred in the processor for the tomato sauce. The only thing I'd have to buy is the beans. It just so happens that I have everything in Bill's....LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, thanks you guys...)
Here's a slaw recipe I've had bookmarked but haven't made yet - so really can't vouch for it yet.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipe...id=1816288
  Re: Re: Ropa Viejo? by Trixxee (Here's a slaw recipe...)
Thanks for sharing Trixxee. I leaning really hard in the direction of the salad, especially since I wouldn't have to buy a thing.

Jean, I just noticed your note at the bottom of your message. (I realized I forgot to copy to MC!) I will let you know. I'm trying a LOT of "Mexican" stuff this week, including your recipe here later in the week. (I'm gonna tempt him with that one by making corn bread...LOL!) We'll see how receptive he is.
Daphne