Okra
  Re: (...)
Bill posted a question about okra in the Sunday dinner thread and it got me thinking. Our okra is about to start coming in, and when it does, I'm going to have LOTS. We have it fried, steamed, and stewed with tomatoes, like a gumbo as a side. Then there's regular gumbo.

I was wondering if any of you have any other recipes that use okra. 'Cause this is pretty limited.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Okra by Gourmet_Mom (Bill posted a questi...)
Daphne, you have MasterCook, right? There is a recipe for "Creole Omelet" that sounds so good to me. Roy doesn't care for okra, so I seldom make it. But one day when he's traveling (if he ever does, again!!) I'm making this for me.

There are some other interesting sounding dishes on M.C. also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Okra by cjs (Daphne, you have Mas...)
I'll check that out. Thanks Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Okra by Gourmet_Mom (Bill posted a questi...)
As an hors d'oeuvre (strange to refer to okra like that) I split each pod lengthwise,or leave whole, drizzle with a little oil, and Pickapeppa Sauce and bake until tender. Great for a football, or Olympic party.
We also love pickled okra--great for gifts too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Okra by Old Bay (As an hors d'oeuvre ...)
Yea, William likes pickled. I bet he'd like the Pickapeppa Sauce idea also. I'll have to try that out. I DO want to freeze some, though. We use it a lot in winter for soups, stews, and gumbos.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Okra by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, William likes p...)
The Jambalaya on the Grill recipe calls for okra. I bought some at the farmers market and made the "dish" last night. It is definitely up there as one of my favorites. I put in extra okra and doubled the "sauce" that gets mixed with the shrimp. The sauce is what makes the dish, so I highly recommend doubling. I have my daughter and her husband here for the weekend so you all get a rest from my babbling!

Theresa
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Okra by chef_Tab (The Jambalaya on the...)
Quote:

...Jambalaya on the Grill...

Doesn't the rice fall through the grill?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Okra by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Once one or two grains fall through all of the other ones hold on real tight!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Okra by firechef (Once one or two grai...)
Funny, you two! Theresa, what book is that in? The new Grilling book or the last issue. It really sounds like something my crowd would like. They're already starting to run together!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Okra by Gourmet_Mom (Funny, you two! The...)
Very funny, Labs and Firechef. It's sort of like eating "salad on a stick". Who doesn't love a challenge?

Daphne, I don't know which cuisine issue this came from, as I deleted that information to be able to fit the entire recipe on one page. I believe it was last August though. I added the "double the sauce". It is one of the first recipes I requested upon joining you all because I had it at a dinner party and could not get it out of my head!

Jambalaya on the Grill

Cook:
1 cup medium grain white rice

Toss Together:
8 oz. andouille sausage, cut diagonally into 1/2” think slices
1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 4 oz.)
1 cup onion, sliced
1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
2/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2/3 cup okra, sliced into 3/4”-thick rounds (thawed if frozen)
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

*double the sauce*
Combine; Top vegetables with and grill:
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on (1 lb.)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold, cubed

Garnish With:
Chopped scallions
Lemon wedges

Preheat grill to medium.
Cook rice according to package directions and keep warm.
Toss sausage, chicken, vegetables, garlic, 2 Tbsp. oil, parsley, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; set aside.
Combine shrimp with brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. oil, paprika, Tabasco, salt, and pepper; set aside. Lay 4 pieces of 18 x 18” foil on flat surface. Divide sausage and vegetable mixture evenly between foil pieces, then top each with 3 shrimp and 3 cubes of butter. Fold the top of each foil piece over jambalaya so edges meet, then crimp together as shown to completely seal the packets. Grill for 8-10 minutes, or until puffed; remove from grill and let rest for 2 – 3 minutes. Cut tops of packets open and spoon the jambalaya over the cooked rice.
Garnish with scallions and lemon.

This is definitely a 10+ to me! And clean up is a breeze.

Theresa
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!