Somebody should have warned me.....
  Re: (...)
that I shouldn't try that Guinness I just put in my pot roast. I figure, it's almost 5 pm and it IS said not to cook with something you wouldn't drink (I KNOW that's wine...but), so I popped the top and poured it in a glass! YUMMMY! Maybe I should try some more dark beers and the like. I will drink an ice cold Corona in the summer from time to time, but I've never cared for the bitter after taste of domestic beers. This on the other hand is quite rich and mellow...almost creamy in comparison.

BTW, I'm guessing that plastic thing in the bottom of the bottle is to help deal with the foaming???? Also, should I have gotten the extra stout instead of the draught? I wasn't sure.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Gourmet_Mom (that I shouldn't try...)
Try a Shiner bock, or a Becks Dark--the only beers I drink--with a Rueben or hot dog--I'm really not a beer person, but these are really good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Old Bay (Try a Shiner bock, o...)
Well, it just so happens I have those 2 Shiner Bocks left from the BBQ sauce. I'll have to check the recipe, but I don't think it used but one. I promised DD I'd make her some ribs like those soon. Like I said, I'm not a beer drinker either. This was a new experience. I don't see drinking them on a regular basis, but it was a VERY pleasant surprise!

Now I see why a lot of the restros Ashley takes me to, (they favor sports bar type places...boyfriend is 22) specialize in beer flights and week night specials of the same. Now to find one of those that does it with wine, and I'd be set. That's another beverage I want to widen my experience in.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Gourmet_Mom (Well, it just so hap...)
Newcastle Ale is my favorite! I prefer a dark beer... don't bother with the Lite/Light beers except Amstel, which actually has some taste.
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Gourmet_Mom (Well, it just so hap...)
Guiness is awesome! It somehow reminds me of pumpernickel bread. If you like it Daphne, maybe you should try the Guiness float! I prefer the extra stout, but in cooking, I don't think it will really make much difference. The other good news is, I am fairly sure that I read somewhere that Guiness has the least amount of calories of non light beers. That just means you can drink more! teehee.

The plastic ball contains the nitrogen that creates the much sought after foamy head.

Cant wait to hear the review for the pot roast.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by HomeCulinarian (Newcastle Ale is my ...)
I love Newcastle, Guiness, Stella Artois, Negra Modelo, most dark beers in fact. I use Guiness when I make corned beef, and somewhere I have a gingerbread recipe that uses Guiness.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Harborwitch (I love Newcastle, Gu...)
I don't like beers for drinking, at all, but I have tried them, on occasion, and was similarly surprised that Guinness was so relatively palatable to me - not enough to drink a full glass of the stuff, but enough to surprise me. I do like beer for cooking, though.

My dad is the one who likes beer, and his favourite is Sam Smith's Nut-Brown Ale.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Harborwitch (I love Newcastle, Gu...)
YAH HOO!!! Welcome to good beer Mom!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by firechef (YAH HOO!!! Welcome ...)
DD had already told me about Newcastle, so that's on the list for when she and BF come to dinner. Now I've got some other flavors to sample. Makes me wish for the mix and match places mentioned before. I'll have to check around.

BTW, the pot roast was AWESOME! I'll do a better review tomorrow, but I will tell you the three of us were FIGHTING over the thing.

We have our Thai Chicken Salad review also! Everybody ready?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Somebody should have warned me..... by Gourmet_Mom (DD had already told ...)
Costco and Sam's Club carry real nice "gift packs" of Samuel Adams in a six varieties if my memory serves me right...it is a 24 pack of bottles in four of each of six flavours. It is a nice way to sample more good beers. I love Samuel Adams as far as domestic beers go.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)