Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan
  Re: (...)
Okay for all of you who adore raw tuna (hush Billy!) I thought I'd share a magnificent treat I found in CaterSource Magazine.

4 oz Sashimi grade tuna
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
pinch kosher salt
pinch fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
1 hot house cucumber
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar (to marinate the cucumber)

Finely dice the tuna. Halve the cucumber lengthwise and seed it with a spoon. On the outside of the cucumber halves cut a thin strip off the bottom so they will sit upright (like a boat). Rub the cut edges of the cucumber with the rice wine vinegar.

Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and sesame seeds with the tuna. Place the tuna onto the hollowed out cucumber. Slice in 3/8" thick slices. Garnish with thin strips of the cucumber skin (removed from the bottom).

Jean's wasabi oil, or a wasabi lime cream would be really good with this. 4 oz of tuna makes a large serving - and it's so pretty.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by Harborwitch (Okay for all of you ...)
I love it and that sounds amazing. Thanks Sharon. That is going to be the perfect dish to make when my brother comes to visit.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by Mare749 (I love it and that s...)
It's one of those things, like the Shrimp Sushi Parfait - a perfect, indulgent yet affordable treat!!! Of course I'd love some tobikio or wasabi caviar on top. Enjoy!!!
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by Harborwitch (It's one of those th...)
Sounds nice, I'll make a call to Des Moines and see if I can round up the tuna. If not do you suppose a can of Chicken of the Sea would do the same? JUST KIDDING!!!

This does sound good and if Dominic can get me the stuff I'll give it a try. Don't know how many takers I'll get but I suppose a quarter pound of raw tuna will not kill me...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by firechef (Sounds nice, I'll ma...)
4 oz isn't much - Jennifer and I each got a couple slices and Bob hogged the rest! Oh my it's so good, and I figure that 4 oz. of tuna is doable a couple times a week. Safeway has absolutely wonderful frozen ahi for 8.99 a lb. Cheap treat!!
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by Harborwitch (4 oz isn't much - Je...)
Oh my, that does sound so good!! You bet this is copied. (not only copied to M.C., but printed out!! ) Thanks Sharon.

Oh, Billy "says" he is branching out and is willing to try some fish...and I'm holding him to it!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by cjs (Oh my, that does sou...)
I'll bump this up - simply because I have been going through magazine after magazine looking for this - was going to make it yesterday to take to Joan & Lee's as an appy.

This was soooooo good! Yum.
  Re: Re: Tuna Tartare on Cucumber Gunkan by Harborwitch (I'll bump this up - ...)
Copied and printed! Thanks for bringing it up, Sharon.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."