Help with Salsa!
  Re: (...)
I just realized I BOUGHT salsa with all these dang tomatoes! How stupid is that! (SHHHHHH! Don't tell William! I'll slip the jar out with DD when she and BF come for dinner later this week.)

ANYWAY, I need a tried and true recipe. I've got all kinds of peppers, both sweet and hot, plenty of onions, God knows plenty of tomatoes, and some cilantro. So I should be okay. I'll check the search, but wanted to post this now to be sure I got a response in time....it's for dinner. THANKS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Help with Salsa! by Gourmet_Mom (I just realized I BO...)
[Image: salsascook_cover.jpg]
I make the salsas from Bayless' book with our summer bounty and freeze them. Most of them involve roasting the vegetables.
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by HomeCulinarian ( [img]http://www.ric...)
The two I have of his from the Sizzle book use tomatillos. I was hoping to use my tomatoes. I'll see if I can access the index at Amazon to see if there's one that sounds good. If so, I may be asking for a recipe...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by Gourmet_Mom (The two I have of hi...)
Well there is fresh salsa and cooked salsa. My favorite is fresh. Diced tomatoes, diced onions, a jalapeno (or 2) fine diced, some garlic minced, cilantro, lime juice salt and pepper. I start with about 4 good size tomatoes, 1 med onion.

Now if you want to cook it you do all the same ingredients, minus the jalapeno. I would use some sweet red peppers, or fresh roasted bells, and for heat put in a scotch bonnet. But keep tasting!! The minute you start to get near the heat you want pull that baby out. The longer it cooks the hotter it gets

Do the same as the cooked one, only now add some cheese and make a salsa queso. MmMmmMmm
Here is mine - it is just a basic one, but we really like it.

Salsa
1/2 med Onion
2 cloves garlic
3 fairly large roma tomatoes
1/2 jalapeno pepper seeds removed
1/2 Anaheim Chili seeds removed
small handfull of cilantro
1 tsp salt
garlic powder - sprinkle
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon or lime

Add all ingredients except tomatoes and cilantro to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add remaining tomatoes and cilantro and pulse a few times till desired consistency.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
The first, second, and fourth sound promising if you already have them typed up. For those who don't have the book, but may have the recipe from another source, they are: Roasted Jalapeno and Tomato Salsa with Fresh Cilantro, Roasted Pablano and Tomato Salsa with Fresh Thyme, or Mellow Red Chile with Sweet Garlic and Roasted Tomatoes(this one sounds REALLY good). If not, maybe somebody else has it...LJ, you've got some of his stuff? Or maybe somebody will come along with one similar. Meanwhile, I check online for other sources of the recipes. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by Gourmet_Mom (The first, second, a...)
Thanks you guys! That gives me a real start. With your amounts, I may be able to do that last one I listed from the Bayless book. I was mostly worried about getting a balance.

Denise, I think I'm gonna go with the fresh, but roast the ingredients before tossing together. I come to REALLY appreciate that roasted taste of these ingredients after joining this place...LOL! It's for the Taco Salad from the new S&S book.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! Th...)
OH MY! Luck was with me. I found the last one on Epicurious...off to see if they have the others since I would have to make a lot of subs for this one.

Update, got the first one also. I'm figuring the second is just a variation of the first.

I'm off to make a cheesecake, stew some 'maters, and start prepping dinner!

I'll check in again right before roasting off the ingredients. I'll have to roast off some bells and a bunch of other peppers today also...the pickling jar if FULL of the hot ones, so....! That's another thing I didn't ask for SOOOO many of! If anyone knows how to "string" cayenne and another red chile that looks like a jalapeno, let me know. I figure that's the best way to dry them? I've got that to do later this week! This garden has gotten out of control and with so many things I didn't even ask for!!!!!
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by Gourmet_Mom (OH MY! Luck was wit...)
We make fresh salsa, summer tomato sauce for pasta, gazpacho and other fresh tomato treats when the tomatoes are in season. We make cooked salsas and marinara to freeze and use later.

We are expecting a huge harvest. Some of our tomato plants are 6 feet tall and heavy with fruit.
  Re: Re: Help with Salsa! by HomeCulinarian (We make fresh salsa,...)
Worked on this one for a long time and finally got it just how we like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

DEFINITIVE SALSA
Dave Williams & a Chef's Journey

1/4 cup white or yellow onion
1 pound Roma tomatoes -- diced
3 green onions -- sliced
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 Serrano peppers -- minced (or jalapenos)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Place yellow or white onion in strainer, rinse w/hot water & drain.
Thoroughly combine all ingred. in a mixing bowl.
Add a little more sugar if tomatoes are acidic, but make sure the salsa does not taste of sugar.

Chill in frig for at least 30 min. before serving.

Description:
"Dave & Kathie Williams were in attendance at every Pig BBQ we had in Weimar, California and every year he brought the best salsas. Definitive Salsa is a blend of our two best recipes. I could munch on this all day."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Daphne, if your family likes taco sauce, I have one that I can every year and it's very tasty. I'll look for it and post it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com