Corn on the cob?
  Re: (...)
What is the best way to make corn on the cob? Nothing fancy, just the best technique. How about microwaving? Can it be just as good? I'm asking because I got some fresh corn at a farmer's stand on our way back from the mountains this weekend (near Asheville, NC), cooked it tonight in the microwave and it was flavorless and sort of chewy. What did I do wrong? Or is it that we really just can't grow good corn down here? Thanks!
  Re: Corn on the cob? by carolekv (What is the best way...)
I am sure the second isn't the case...okay so it may be, mind you I am in Iowa where almost 40% of the worlds corn is presently growing.

I have seen all sorts of ways of grilling it and roasting but when all is said and done a pot of boiling water is great too...timing is one thing I am not good at with corn but normally get the water (lots of water as you want is all submerged) good and hot (nearly to a boil) and dump in the ears by the dozens for Holly and I alone (don't tell anyone but I have put aside a "Baker's Dozen" by myself) and let is go a good 15 to 20 minutes or longer if I am tending to some good Iowa pork on the grill...

I am sure many better tips will come soon!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by firechef (I am sure the second...)
Well, I've recently discovered grilling it. I'm not as fond of grilling it "naked" as others, but that could be due to the variety of corn I have. But grilling it in the husk is almost, if not better than boiling. And I love my corn on the cob about as good as LJ...depending on what else is being served and how long it's been since my last fix....LOL!

Now mind you, I'm not an expert, but.....

What I do is soak it husk and all for about half an hour. When you throw on your steak, shake off the ears and throw them on, too. When you turn your steak, turn your corn. I take my steaks off (total of 14 minutes) to platter to rest, then go back for the corn(total of about 20). This is new to me, so I may be off on times for the corn, but that's about what I've done the last 3 times I did it and we loved it!

Now for traditional....what I grew up with...boiled corn on the cob, there is only ONE way. LJ is close! Bring PLENTY of water to a boil. You want those ears to float! When the water is boiling, add cleaned cobs, turn heat to medium high, boil TEN MINUTES ONLY, and remove from heat. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes ONLY or it will get too done, watery, and/or flavorless. (This is where doing it on the grill helps...less multi-tasking, and no pots to clean.) Serve with your choice of regular or compound butter. YUM!!!!!

AND BLASPHEMY!!! Of course North Carolinians can grow corn!!!! At least in the Piedmont and Southeast!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I've recently ...)
My usual method is to shuck it and put it in a big pot of cold water with some sugar and lemon juice. Bring the pot to a boil and then remove from the heat and cover. Let the corn sit for about 15 minutes before serving.

For freezing corn, blanch on the cob, shock in cold water then cut off kernels & freeze in bags or containers.
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by HomeCulinarian (My usual method is t...)
As if you need one more suggestion! I bring a large based pot with at least enough water to cover half the corn to a vigorous boil. Place the cleaned ears of corn in the pot. Cover, turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. It is more like steaming. Drain off the water and the corn is ready to eat.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by chef_Tab (As if you need one m...)
Ah yes, my grandmother used to live in Iowa and as I recall, we ate corn for all meals including middle of the night snack sometimes and I NEVER got tired of it - pure heaven. I've been in Georgia now for 25 years and I swear I've had good corn though - not as good as midwest, but still sweet and crunchy. So, no dig intended at southeast, and I really think it was my cooking method that ruined it anyway. So, now I hear no recommendations on microwaving, so is that a no no? Also, I did start out by steaming it with some other veggies that we got at the farm stand, and it took so long that I moved it to microwave and let the other veggies continue to steam - they were great - pole beans, potatoes, onion.
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by carolekv (Ah yes, my grandmoth...)
Microwave? NO My mother used to add milk to the water that she cooked her corn in - it was delicious, the way I liked it best until I discovered grilling. Now, that's the only way we have it. Shuck the corn, rub with a little olive oil, grill on med.-high rotating the cob a 1/4 turn every 3-4 min then enjoy. I don't like anything on mine, Roy loves to salt his.

Just another version for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by carolekv (Ah yes, my grandmoth...)
Quote:

So, no dig intended at southeast, and I really think it was my cooking method that ruined it anyway. So, now I hear no recommendations on microwaving, so is that a no no?

Poor dear, I was just teasing...LOL! Of course I knew you didn't mean any harm!

As for the microwave, I have heard of people placing it in a dish with a small amount of water, cover with plastic wrap (is this okay any more?) and fold back one corner. I don't recall how long...5 minutes maybe? I think I tried it one time LONG ago when I first heard about it, just to see if it worked. It's more like the steaming methods mentioned above. I don't remember how it turned out. I never did it again, so evidently not so great...LOL!

But to be honest, what have you saved? There's still a dish to clean, by the time you've got it ready to put in, you could have a pot of water boiling (or in the case of the grill it's already going) and the corn tastes much better.

So for me, I'd never do corn, especially fresh from the field corn this way.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
My sis buys the frozen coblets from Costco and she does hers in the micro just as Daphne said. To me, it's a little touch, but the flavor is ok.

Myself, I prefer the clean, put into boiling water, simmer for 10 minutes, cover and leave for 5 to 10 minutes. I much prefer the butter, compound or not, and salt. YUM!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Corn on the cob? by bjcotton (My sis buys the froz...)
I forgot to add...And there you see, are many ways to cook corn on the cob....LOL!
Daphne