Tortilla Chips- To Fry or To Bake?
  Re: (...)
That pretty much says it all. While I would prefer, for health reasons, to bake, I want them to be good. Are the baked ones REALLY as good as the fried ones? BE HONEST! And do you have any secrets to make the baked ones, just as good?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tortilla Chips- To Fry or To Bake? by Gourmet_Mom (That pretty much say...)
I always oven fry all my chips - any kind.

They turn out delicious, crispy, everything I want in a chip without the fat. My vote is for baking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tortilla Chips- To Fry or To Bake? by cjs (I always oven fry al...)
I'm stopping to get me a sprayer at the dime store. This brushing of oil on won tons and chips is tedious....I think I see a lot of potential use for such an item in my kitchen.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tortilla Chips- To Fry or To Bake? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm stopping to get ...)
I bake. I started when I still owned the restaurant and were doing a taco salad every Friday as a lunch special per guest request. I had fried them but went to baking to cut down on the grease and make things healthier for our guests. Not big on "killing off" the guests you know.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Tortilla Chips- To Fry or To Bake? by firechef (I bake. I started w...)
I didn't get to bake them today, but definitely tomorrow....got my spray bottle and all. I have GOT to start early tomorrow. By 3 pm today, it was so hot in the part of the house where the kitchen is located and outside, cooking was not an option.

I did start roasting peppers, etc and baking potatoes and "frying" bacon at around 7. Even then, William stood at the door to open and close it quickly every time I went out to tend the grill.

Came up with a cool way to turn the veggies quickly though...two sheet pans covered in foil! I know, probably nothing new to some of you, but I was proud of myself for coming up with it on my own. Roasting them would have problaby gone faster if I'd put them right on the grate, but it kept ME out of the heat for longer stretches of time. Plus, I had a LOT of veggies to roast.

I'm gonna use the same concept on the chips tomorrow. And I'll probably put the Roja Vieja in a pan on the grill for part or all of the time tomorrow as well. It'll depend on my ability to maintain temp. Today at 7, the grill thermometer was reading 125 before turning it on. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.
Daphne