For William's Leftover Maytag....
  Re: (...)
Daphne, I can't remember when you came on c2c, but do you remember 'vkb2'? She was an oldtimer and this is one of the best (imo) recipes she posted - you could cut this down to just serve 2 if you wanted...It's so good. I served it at the hotel when I was still working and it was always gobbled up.

Gorgonzola and Brie Torte
by vkb2 on Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:30 pm
This is a recipe that I like to serve when I have large parties, however it is a heart attack waitng to happen. Everyone loves it though.

Gorgonzola and Brie Torte

32 ounces cream cheese, divided
16 ounces butter, divided
8 ounces brie, cut off rind
8 ounces gorgonaola
parsley
scallions

Line a 8 inch springform pan with plastic wrap; set aside. (Get out your new mini-cheesecake pans) beat 16 ounces of cream cheese with 8 ounces of butter and brie. Put in pan. Make a layer of chopped herbs. Beat remaining cream cheese with remaining butter and gorgonzola. Top with herbs. Bring up sides of celophane and wrap until ready to unmold. Chill until ready to serve.

If you don't want to make such a large portion you can always divide the ingredients in 1/2 and mold it in ramekins.

Put your feet up, William, and I'm sure you'll be served soon with your favorite cocktail or beer...or wine!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by cjs (Daphne, I can't reme...)
Thanks Jean. Sorry Sharon, I actually have a wedge of Brie I got a while back to make the planked brie and never got around to it. If it's still good I thnk this may go with our Appy dinner Saturday. Kind of an odd mix of things, but here's what I'm thinking. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Bill's Bloody Bulls
Shrimp in dill ice ring (I want to do Shrimp Sushi Parfaits but doesn't seem to fit, but then, I'm not sure this mix of cheese is going to work either.)
Serrano Pesto with Crab Quesidillas
Gorgonzola and Brie Mini Torte (Or a Mini Blue Cheesecake)
Jalapeno Poppers (May use cheddar here)

I may have to have some Margaritas. Anybody got a killer recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean. Sorry ...)
should I give someone else a chance to answer you once in a while?????

Sounds like a fun dinner!! Please check out the new serrano pesto update........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by cjs (should I give someon...)
No, not if you're the only one offering...LOL! You did offer to help me introduce William to Mexican....LOL! And, there's a lot of time between now and Saturday for others to put in their two cents if they choose.

I guess I probably should save the torte for Sunday...then the other stuff would fit togehter better.

Also, there will be salsa and chips on hand as well. Maybe even some more guacamole if I can get my mind beyond the past....LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by Gourmet_Mom (No, not if you're th...)
I think waiting for Sunday for the torte is a good idea - both are very rich....

We call these Brendaritas because my friend Brenda introduced us to them and oh my, we were hooked.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BRENDARITAS (MARGARITAS) - THE BEST!

Fill a glass (we use a martini shaker and make two at a time) with ice
Add 2/3 glass Jose Cuervo Mix
1/2 shooter glass of Tequila (preferably Patron, 100% de Guave)
Splash of Contreau
Splash of orange juice
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by cjs (I think waiting for ...)
WHEW! I just left He[['s Kitchen! The thermometer in there reads 85! Thankfully, the grill is holding at 325 degrees perfectly. So the Ropa Vieja is out there!

Thanks bunches Jean! I think what I'll do is pick up a couple nice steaks (the good ones from the local butcher shop) and baking potatoes Friday, and make the torte with that. I've got just enough leftover romaine to make a salad. The kid's not invited!

Then we'll have the Mexican appy dinner Saturday!

I'm so glad to be getting better at using my leftovers and making the most of my groceries/garden! And you guys would be sooo proud. I've got to go back to the store AGAIN...I've run out of cilantro! I just bought this bunch 2 days ago! Remember how I was hesitant to try the Thai Chicken Wraps because of the cilantro!?!?!?!?
Daphne
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by Gourmet_Mom (WHEW! I just left H...)
I wanna be at your house Saturday!! I used my grill as an oven the other night (stuffed zucchini) and it sure works well. 'Course our heat was nothing compared to yours!

re cilantro - at the risk of sounding like a know it all, since you are new to enjoying this herb, two things to remember with it -
freeze it and the stems on cilantro are as good to use as the leaves (not like parsley where the stems are not used)

Just throwing this out there in case...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by cjs (I wanna be at your h...)
Quote:

re cilantro - at the risk of sounding like a know it all, since you are new to enjoying this herb, two things to remember with it -

He he he....I thought I saw a great big, "I told you so" coming...LOL!

Will do Jean! I've got a veggie bag going in the freezer now. I guess I need to start an herb bag, soon. I didn't grow cilantro this year, but I will next. My poor little refrigerator freezer section is running out of room. I need to transfer some stuff to the farm this weekend.
Daphne
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by cjs (I wanna be at your h...)
Thanks for that tip on the cilantro, Jean - that is the ONLY herb that I cannot grow from seeds - this is my fifth year to try to grow it - it gets about two inches high and then just goes away - so when I put a bunch, I don't EVER use the whole bunch at the time - again, thanks - I do have an herb bag in my freezer so this is a great help - ~~ ~
  Re: Re: For William's Leftover Maytag.... by (Thanks for that tip ...)
whew, then I'm glad I posted those tidbits....
www.achefsjourney.com