Cincinnati Chili
  Re: (...)
I just can't do this to you guys - this is one tasty chili and it's only been cooking for 20 minutes. But, the method leaves a little to be desired, imo. If you want just delete my notes and go for it as they have it.

Cincinnati Chili

Pulse; sweat in 1 t. vegetable oil:
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 cup oniin, diced
4 cloves garlic
1 T. unsweetened cocoa
1 T. Chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
Add; Stir in:
3 1/2 cups V-8 or tomato juice
1 cup water
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. apple cider vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Cook; garnish with:
1 lb. dry spaghetti
1 lb. cheddar, shredded

Pulse sirloin, onion, garlic, cocoa, and seasonings together in a food processor until pasty. Sweat mixture in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stirring to break up the meat; do not brown.

MY NOTE: (this just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me…saying not to brown the meat – after mixing the meat with all the spices, the meat is brown already! Next time, since they are asking for a little extra work anyway, I will toast the spices in a dry skillet, then add to the ground sirloin in the processor to mix and break up the meat; then sweat the mixture a little in a skillet before adding the rest of the ingredients. My thinking is this way I will have the two results C@H is looking for – Cincinnati chile should have a finer texture(of meat) than other chilies and toasting the spices will do what (I think) they are looking for with the sweating.)

Add remaining ingredients (except the cheddar and spaghetti) to the meat mixture and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until slightly thickened,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Cook spaghetti in a pot of boiling water according to pkg. directions while chili simmers; drain and set aside.

To serve, place pasta in shallow serving bowls, then top with chili and cheese and cracker salad, if using. If using then this chili would be called “all-ways Cincinnati Chili” as opposed to 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, or 5-way, so they say.
Soups, Stews, & Chilies, C@H
Makes ~7 cups

Cracker Salad:
Makes 5 cups

2 T. olive oil
2 tsp. sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lime
2 cups oyster crackers
15 oz. can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk oil, sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat with vinaigrette.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cincinnati Chili by cjs (I just can't do this...)
Sounds good Jean. I've got everything except the sirloin, oyster crackers, and kidney beans. This may be something William would be satisfied with so I won't have to do my usual spaghetti. (Wonder how these spices would be if I just added them to my shredded beef from the Ropa?) Not an over the top kinda thing for my last week, but hey, throw in some Bill's Bloody Bulls and/or some Brendaritas, and who cares...LOL!

Hey, with this and the Red Beans and Rice you gave me(which I have ALL the ingredients for), my shopping list just got WAY shorter...kinda makes up for that liquor store bill. I'll have to be sure to point that out to William!

Funny aside...I just sent William off with stuff from the freezer and found 2 pounds of shrimp in there...LOL! Next week's menu is getting clearer and clearer...and cheaper and cheaper. There's also a rack of baby back ribs in there too....LOL! Doin' a Happy Dance over here!!!!! (There's also a pack each of Grandmother Pearl's Sweedish Meatballs, Pork Marsala, and Chicken Roulades in there, but that's for after school starts. At least I can find them now.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good Jean. I...)
Will have to try this. Cincinnati Skyline Chile is legendary, and for good reason - it's very good. Many kudos to Jean for posting it, and especially to the original source of the recipe for not contaminating it with beans. True Skyline chili only has the beans from "4-way" on up (although they are red beans, not kidneys).

Here is the official website, with all the information about the "ways."

Thanks, Jean!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by labradors (Will have to try thi...)
Some things are sacred. This is probably good, but it is a travesty to call it chili.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Old Bay (Some things are sacr...)
So Bill, you got a use for my Ropa Vieja? I'm thinking a traditional Texas style chili would really work better. I've always used ground beef in mine, but now I've got all this stewed beef to deal with.

BTW, I always thought that Cincinnati Chili was called such because it was so far from the traditional sense of what everyone thinks of chili.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Gourmet_Mom (So Bill, you got a u...)
Quote:

So Bill, you got a use for my Ropa Vieja? I'm thinking a traditional Texas style chili would really work better. I've always used ground beef in mine, but now I've got all this stewed beef to deal with.

BTW, I always thought that Cincinnati Chili was called such because it was so far from the traditional sense of what everyone thinks of chili.

I think that stewed beef would be wonderful in a sandwich with bar b que sauce, sweet onions, and dill pickles. Serve it with potato salad and cole slaw. OMG!
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You know, you're not far off...Thanks Bill! It's marked as chili or BBQ sammie!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Gourmet_Mom (You know, you're not...)
Real or not, this is one tasty dish - the flavors are different than I've tried before, but it works...whatever you want to call it.

[Image: Cinchili.jpg]

to all you old traditionalists...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by cjs (Real or not, this is...)
I don't doubt that it looks good and will taste good--how about calling it Jamaican Bolognese with Pasta?
  Re: Re: Cincinnati Chili by Old Bay (I don't doubt that i...)
well....that's a thot - I repeat
www.achefsjourney.com