OT-Ready for School???
  Re: (...)
For those that this affects are you and the kids ready for school to start? I still have a few years for my little one to start school but I was wondering about everyone else...then again there is our favourite teacher Daphne getting ready for school again too!

It seems school starts earlier and earlier every year...I seem to remember the days turning cooler around the start of the school year. I remember the leaves changing around that time too...must mean it will be cool enough to bake again soon as well. Harvesting should be right around the corner too...well maybe not this year with the late planting we had to do thanks to the rain. Hard to believe Labour Day is right around the corner and then we'll be talking Thanksgiving and Christmas and the other Holidays! Dang time flies...

AND IT ALL STARTS WITH DAPHNE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: OT-Ready for School??? by firechef (For those that this ...)
EWWWWWWWW....You can kiss that recipe for Drunken Kebobs GOOOD BYE!!!!!

I had to go back and check...You better hope Erin takes pity and posts it, 'cause He[[ will freeze over before I will...LOL!!!!

BUT, regarding gettin' ready for school, I'm doing my part to get ready! I've got a BUNCH of cocktail recipes lined up and a few other recipes to enjoy this coming week. But if anybody wants to take pity on my poor soul and share some of their favorite celebratory recipes...I'm wide open.

Now, I've not got an unlimited budget, so keep it reasonable. Kinda...last meal on a budget. I'm not gonna die, but I feel like I'm getting ready to face a firing squad. So that kinda theme.

BTW, next Saturday, I will be celebrating 28 years happily married to the same man. July 9th marked 33 years committed. GEEZ, that's a long time, huh? But I've decided to start marking my age by our anniversary. Sounds like a good plan, right? SOOOO, I am now 33 and lovin' it!
  Re: Re: OT-Ready for School??? by Gourmet_Mom (EWWWWWWWW....You can...)
But Moooooom....
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Well, I am excited about all the boxes arriving! Getting to see all the neat books we will be using over the next year. School doesn't officially start until Sept. 8th for us. But, my life will be even busier! But exciting and satisfying. My little Stephanie just took off with her reading - she has read over 50 books in the last couple of months! Just amazing. The boys are doing pretty good, but she is going to be my little book worm.

On the weather front - I hope we have a late summer - to make up for our cool beginings, or I will never get tomatoes, beans or much else. I am picking zukes and summer squash and one ripe tomato. And snap peas.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT-Ready for School??? by esgunn (Well, I am excited ...)
Oh, Erin, isn't that just so much fun! Does she have "If you give a Mouse a Cookie." or "Ming Lo moves the Mountain?" The Berenstein Bears, Thingamajigs, Aesop's Fables, Litte Miss and Little Mister books ... These are some of my kid's all time favorites.

Have fun and treasure these days ... time flies so fast!
  Re: Re: OT-Ready for School??? by HomeCulinarian (Oh, Erin, isn't that...)
"time flies so fast!" - oh, it sure does! I so miss when the kids were little, loved that time.

LJ, I have to disagree with you about the chill in the air when school started...for us (females anyway), you didn't wear white after labor day or before Memorial day, so when school started it was fall clothes from day one no matter how darn hot it was!!!! And to top it all off, those were the days of working all summer (usually in the fruit business) to buy Cashmere sweaters for school!! (at least one!)

Erin, you have no idea how I love hearing about your schooling of the kids - I so wish I had been able to (or even thought of doing)do that! I can't imagine anything bringing families closer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT-Ready for School??? by cjs ("time flies so fast!...)
This is my 31st year. I teach Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS). Usually I teach Foods 1, a basic Foods and Nutrition course. I plan to retire on Jan. 1st, stay out 6 months and go back in the fall if there is a need for me!!!!
I'm going back to school on the 18th of this month, back to the kitchen. The Pres elections are coming up which means a nightmarish few months for us but when it's over, it's over, for a few years at least.

Not ready to go back...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT-Ready for School??? by pjcooks (I'm going back to sc...)
The campus is starting to fill up again as the students return. Move in weekend is a mad house in the local stores, so I try to avoid them that weekend. But, makes for some good sales.

I always look forward to the return of the college students to campus... So many bright kids with bright futures.
Mister and I are way past having those little ones in school - but our only granddaughter starts the 11th grade this coming Thursday - our grandsons - 8 and 4 will start the following week- the 4 year old is starting pre-K and he went into detail with me today while we were in the pool about his "school" - I asked what are you going to do/learn he said - FUN, Nana,that's what you do in school - OMG - hope his parents have a ton of money for college!!!