2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm
  Re: (...)
In an ingredient list on prepared food, is corn syrup the same as high fructose corn syrup? If not, what is the difference?

I love hearts of palm and have only had jarred ones. Do you ever find it fresh? Lol, if so how are they prepared?

Thank you very much.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by Corinne (In an ingredient lis...)
Quote:

In an ingredient list on prepared food, is corn syrup the same as high fructose corn syrup? If not, what is the difference?

I love hearts of palm and have only had jarred ones. Do you ever find it fresh? Lol, if so how are they prepared?

Thank you very much.

1. None of ours says "high fructose"--never tried it. Fructose is a simple sugar--sucrose (normal) is compound and not as healthy. Fructose is probably not quite as sweet, but less taxing on the body. Honey is fructose, table sugar is sucrose.

2. I've only seen hearts of palm in a can or jar. I love them in salads.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by Corinne (In an ingredient lis...)
100% corn syrup is glucose - a natural product - as far as I know.

High fructose corn syrup is a genetically engineered and processed product.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is any of a group of corn syrups which have undergone enzymatic processing in order to increase their fructose content and are then mixed with pure corn syrup (100% glucose) to reach their final form. The typical types of HFCS are: HFCS 90 (used almost exclusively in the production of HFCS 55) which is approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose; HFCS 55 (most commonly used in soft drinks) which is approximately 55% fructose and 45% glucose; and HFCS 42 (used in a variety of other foods, including baked goods) which is approximately 42% fructose and 58% glucose.[1]

Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by esgunn (100% corn syrup is g...)
Thank you both! It never occurred to me to check Wikipedia for the answer.

I really love hearts of palm, too. I belong to one of the warehouse clubs just because they carry large jars of them.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by esgunn (100% corn syrup is g...)
Chemically, fructose is a fruit sugar and when combined with glucose it forms sucrose-table sugar. Fructose is prefered for diabetics. I'm not familier with the syrups.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by Old Bay (Chemically, fructose...)
I've seen hearts of palm recently in a specialty market, but could not tell you when or where...Dang CRS. But as far as processing them, I could not tell you. I have never had it raw or processed, so I have NO idea.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 2 little food questions, hfcs and hearts of palm by Gourmet_Mom (I've seen hearts of ...)
I think I saw A. Bourdain eating the fresh hearts of palm on 'No Reservations". They may have been shredded.
Cory

I am not the model.