Basil Ice Cream
  Re: (...)
Below is a recipe for basil ice cream that I am going to make today. I started to make it the other day - but after I pureed the basil in the milk it turned a nasty nasty shade of brown.

Any thoughts out there???? I was thinking mayby if I blanched and then shocked the basil leaves in ice water to set the color first??????? (I'm only making half the recipe)

Fresh Basil Ice Cream
Egg yolks 14 each
Sugar 2 C
Heavy cream 5 1/2 C
Vanilla extract 4 TBS
Or vanilla bean split 1 each
Fresh basil leaves, stemmed, chopped 1 C
Milk 1 C
Instructions:
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over simmering water until cooked to ribbon consistency. Bring cream and vanilla just to a boil in a saucepan. Slowly add cream to egg mixture. (Adding cream too rapidly may overcook and scramble eggs. Mixture should coat back of a wooden spoon.) Remove from heat and cool over ice. Purée basil and milk in a blender until smooth, then add to ice cream base. Process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions, or place cream into a stainless steel container and put into a freezer. During freezing process, blend mixture well several times.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Basil Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Below is a recipe fo...)
Wonder if you just steeped the leaves in the milk to infuse the flavor, then remove the leaves and proceed?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Question, with a question--why doesn't basil turn brown in pesto? Would a basil sorbet be more attractive? I don't know these answers, unless the oil coats and prevents air contact and browning in pesto.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by Gourmet_Mom (Wonder if you just s...)
I thought about that Daphne.

Bill I think you're right - the oil coats the basil and prevents oxidation. For any other purpose a sorbet would be good - but this is for a Jalapeno Apple pie and I think the ice cream is the trick here.

Sharon, Two other recipes on the Net, had different ways of making it, this might give you some ideas.

The First had heating part of the milk and steeping the basil in it covered for 20 minutes off heat. Then pureeing in a blender.

The Second was adding basil to store bought vanilla, but they had blanching and shocking the basil, then pureeing it with a little salt and powdered vitamin C (Fruit fresh?).

Good luck
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by esgunn (Sharon, Two other r...)
Thank you - I think the second idea is a good one, and I just happen to have found my "fruit fresh" in the cupboard!!!
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Thank you - I think ...)
What a fascinating idea!

Why not take it one step further, and pair it with a sun-dried-tomato ice cream?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by labradors (What a fascinating i...)
I must admit, I am even more in awe of this jalapeno apple pie. I think my husband is falling in love with you. He is a pepper head. He puts ground habaneros on nearly everything. Please share the apple pie recipe!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by chef_Tab (I must admit, I am e...)
From Plate magazine!!!

JALAPEÑO APPLE PIE WITH FRESH BASIL ICE CREAM
Chef Michael Thomson
Michael's Restaurant - Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Yield: 8 servings
Menu Price: $6.50; Food Cost/Serving: 29%

Jalapeño jelly 1/4 C
Pie shell, un-baked 1 each
Granny Smith apples, cored, quartered 4 each
Lime, juice of 1 each
Salt 1 dash
Ginger 2 tsp
Flour 1 C, plus 1/2 C
Sugar 2 TBS, plus 1/2 C
Cinnamon 2 tsp
Jalapeño powder or fresh chiles (see note) 1/2 tsp
Butter 1/4 Lb
Jack cheese, grated 1 C
Fresh basil ice cream 1 qt
Strawberries as needed
Fresh mint sprigs as needed
Powdered sugar as needed
Cocoa powder as needed
Instructions:
1. Spread jalapeño jelly evenly on bottom of pie shell. Reserve.
2. Toss apples and lime juice in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine salt, ginger, 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon and jalapeño powder and add to apples. Toss to coat evenly. Fill pie shell with seasoned apples.
4. Mix remaining flour and sugar. Crumble butter into dry mix until topping resembles coarse meal. Add cheese and mix well. Place topping mix evenly over apples.
5. Bake pie in a 350-degree F oven until top is golden.
6. Place 1 slice of warm pie on a serving plate. Garnish with a 4-ounce scoop of basil ice cream, a fresh strawberry fan, and a healthy sprig of fresh mint. Dust plate with powdered sugar and cocoa powder.

Notes:
Apples can be cut into 8 even wedges, or into 24 cubes, depending on desired texture. Fresh jalapeño peppers can be substituted for green jalapeño powder but the heat factor is never the same. To make sure peppers are not too hot, remove seeds and membranes and mince pepper. Taste for heat; use 1 tablespoon if peppers are mild, a little less if they are really hot.
  Re: Re: Basil Ice Cream by Harborwitch (From Plate magazine!...)
Very nice. I love Plate magazine. This looks like a keeper as a whole. Wonder how this would go over on Thanksgiving Day in rural Iowa?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)