MasterCook 9
  Re: (...)
For those of you using version 9, are you having any problems with your program? I just installed mine today and so far have no problems. I successfully merged my previous versions, giving me a total of 70 cookbooks!

My brother has not been so lucky. He downloaded his from the ValueSoft website, and it's not working right for him. Any ideas why?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: MasterCook 9 by Mare749 (For those of you usi...)
Nine was my first and only version, so I probably would be of no help. Billy is the one to be of most help, I would think. He's helped me before.

Some questions...Did your brother have an older version as well? Did you download from the site like he did or use a disk? Can you think of any differences in your two installations? Can you describe the nature of his problems?

I would think any information you could give would help in diagnosing the problem. One last question...has he contacted tech support at ValuSoft?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: MasterCook 9 by Mare749 (For those of you usi...)
Is he running Windows Vista? If so, he'll have to set it to run "as if running on XP". It will not work on Vista...well, it wouldn't the last time I checked. When I bought my new computer they put Vista on it; and, it didn't take me but a couple of days to take it back and tell them to get that "KRAP" off my computer. During the several years I've been running MC9 I've had to uninstall and reinstall it twice. That's one reason I keep a weekly backup of my MC9 files. Other than that, no problems other than using the email function. As far as I know most people have trouble with that function.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by bjcotton (Is he running Window...)
Thanks Billy, that just might be the problem. I think he does have Vista. And yes, he does have previous versions just like I do. I'll have to call and tell him what you said and maybe that will help. Don't know whether he contacted their tech support or not, but I'll ask.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by Mare749 (Thanks Billy, that j...)
I still cannot get MC to work on my vista computer I still have it on my work pc which is good...great now that I've said that out loud the darn thing will crash and I'll need to get a new one.

**makes note to back up everything at work tomorrow**
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by DFen911 (I still cannot get M...)
I had forgotten about the Vista problem. Denise, that has got to be a pain!
Daphne
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by Gourmet_Mom (I had forgotten abou...)
It drives me insane at times. I have tried emailing them about updating their software for Vista support but have never received a reply.

I really like the program too. There are other programs that have never updated to Vista mainly because it's just too expensive for them to do so. Microsoft does not make it easy for software vendors.
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by DFen911 (It drives me insane ...)
Indeed, as if Micro$oft didn't already have a bad enough reputation among serious IT professionals (versus IT professionals with serious, commercial a$piration$), it didn't take long for Vista to become a Pariah.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by labradors (Indeed, as if Micro$...)
My mother was in the market for a new computer last year. She had been waiting for Vista, because one of her friends had told her Microsoft was coming out with another format (?). I read up on it and asked around. When she came to me to help her purchase one, I steered her to XP instead. She's glad of it now. I did the same with the kids' laptops for school last year as well.

William got two new systems at work and they had a HECK of a time loading their survey software. They finally got a technician from the software company down and it took him DAYS! I can't remember if they finally took Vista off or worked around it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: MasterCook 9 by Gourmet_Mom (My mother was in the...)
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but I just bought a new PC, with Vista preinstalled, and had just copied over thru a shared drive, my MC 9 files, from my old PC. Didn't do a thing other than copy it over, but granted, it was running on XP on the old PC. I saw this chain and got nervous, went out and just ran MC9. Didn't do anything other than click around a bit, but it does start and my collections are there. Hopefully, I stay 'okay'. I actually sort of like Vista so far, although I was worried because I know of several major organizations, including my own, that have stayed away from the upgrade thusfar. I had intended on asking a switch to preinstall of XP, but I forgot, and just have left it this way so far. (Had the new PC about two weeks now. Awesome - I remember the days of two diskette drives and no hard drive - this thing has 4GB of memory!) I'll find out more about why folks are resistant to Vista - may be some programs that I don't use? I have been in hi-tech for 25 years now, usually in a customer-facing sales/technical role. So, to be quite honest, in my opinion, I also take all of the anti-Microsoft or anti-anything hi-tech talk with a reservation of judgement - it is quite often some techy hype based on threads of truth, on all sides. The funny thing is that while Microsoft may not always make the best choices in our opinion, all vendors will eventually fall into step, because they have an overwhelmingly huge share of the market. Right or wrong, it's the fact. Sort of like, as I keep telling my husband, if the political candidates get too idealistic, they won't get elected and can't do a thing.