We're Home!
  Re: (...)
Whew!! Our eyes are crossed and the feet are burning, but it was sure a worthwhile trip to start the search for a smaller rig for us. I think we've narrowed it down to 4-6 that we'll go back and look at next week and try to decide on one.

After walking our butts (and feet off) Tuesday, about 4p.m., we found Europa Bistro in the old part of Tacoma. They weren't open yet, but Chef Alfredo Rosso stuck his head out and invited us into the bar area for some really great wine tastings!! My he had a wonderful selection of Italian wines. He's had the restaurant for 8 years and was primarily a pastry chef from Italy, but now he's the whole shebang for the restaurant. Great breads and I learned a great idea from him - I asked what olive oil he uses because his was the smoothest I've every tasted. His trick - combine 75% olive oil with 25% canola. It is super!! I'm mixing mine up first thing this morning!!

We dipped so much bread we almost ruined our dinner! I should have stuck with my first idea to just have an appy, but no, his Braciola di Maiale (center cut pork chop in rosemary demiglasse [demi-glace to me ] topped w/olive tapanada and sun-dried tomatoes, served with fried polenta and artichoke hearts) sounded too good to pass up - and it was very, very tasty!!

Roy had Pescatore, fisherman's style stew over house made pasta that was chock full of seafood (and not just the leftovers from previous night!!)

Chef Russo chose a bottle of Guado de' Gemoli wine for our dinners and oh my what a wonderful bottle it was! I'm not having any luck at all finding some to purchase online, but, I'll keep trying. it was wonderful!

We couldn't give up without tasting his desserts - especially since Roy had told him my Creme Brulee was the best he's ever had (no pressure there!!!). So, Roy had that and I tried his cannoli - what a wonderful cannoli it was!! But, we both agreed my brulee was better - bad moment when he asked us how we liked it....had to tell him. But, he did agree with me that brulee is so much better made with vanilla bean, but for some reason he dumbs it down for his customers who grimaced at 'the little black spots' in their dessert. Man, do I disagree with that!

Overall, what a wonderful night and we also got to meet his wife, Justine and children, just a delightful family. I'm ready to go back and just dip bread in that oil and go thru his wine!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: We're Home! by cjs (Whew!! Our eyes are ...)
I had wondered where you were yesterday, but then remembered your trip for the rig. How sad that you must go back again before you buy.

It sounds like a wonderful trip! Did you happen to ask him where you could find the wine? Is this a chef you have known?

Canola oil trick is noted, also!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: We're Home! by Gourmet_Mom (I had wondered where...)
No, had never heard of him before - just a very, very lucky stop in!! I may have to email him if I don't have luck finding the wine somewhere....but, then again, we do have to go back to buy a rig!

I'll be anxious to hear how you like the mixture (oils) - he had the normal goodies in the dipping sauce - crushed red pepper, garlic, there might have been some basil.... so good..
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: We're Home! by cjs (No, had never heard ...)
Jean, You said old Tacoma - was it Ruston area? Or Proctor? Or down town? I will have to try this restaurant!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: We're Home! by esgunn (Jean, You said old ...)
Oh Erin, I forgot how close you are!

Europa Bistro
Local (253) 761-5660
2515 N Proctor St
Tacoma, WA 98406

I hope you do try it - we sure enjoyed it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: We're Home! by cjs (Oh Erin, I forgot ho...)
Quote:

Oh Erin, I forgot how close you are!

Europa Bistro
Local (253) 761-5660
2515 N Proctor St
Tacoma, WA 98406

I hope you do try it - we sure enjoyed it.

Jean I told the friends that are picking us up and then taking us to the ***** about the bistro--I think we are going to try it. Any other suggestions than what you said in the post?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: We're Home! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)

Jean the meal sounds wonderful - would enjoy that I am sure.

I copied down the name of the wine - and will check with the

"Vine Master" at work and see if he can find it. -

will get back with you.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: We're Home! by mjkcooking ([br]Jean the meal so...)
So glad you are back Hey at least you have your choices narrowed down. I would end up still not knowing what I wanted and having to make several trips.

Do you have pics of the rigs you are considering? Would love to see them.
  Re: Re: We're Home! by DFen911 (So glad you are back...)
Oh marye, fingers crossed for the "vine master." We'll be going over to Port Townsend soon also, and the guy at that wine shop is very good about finding goodies for us.

My only suggestion, Bill, is to be sure and try the Guado de' Gemoli - it was very good. Also, we're going back over to the area next week and I'm going to try another place and see how it is.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: We're Home! by cjs (Whew!! Our eyes are ...)
" Braciola di Maiale "

That sounds great. Glad you found a few rigs you liked!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.