Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead?
  Re: (...)
I wanted to prepare the Rangoon from the June 08 Issue ahead of time so I'm not wasting time prepping to fry while my guests are waiting...but is it safe to do so and refrigerate for a couple hours?? and then fry them up?
  Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by CarlaLom (I wanted to prepare ...)
Since I'm not a chef, nor do I have a food safe certificate, I am hesitant to answer here. They would probably be fine, since the shrimp is cooked. On the other hand, your filling is subject to saturate your wrapper. That being said, I would be tempted to stick them in the freezer and fry straight from the freezer.

The fried pies I'm making from the August Issue recommend this for the pies to prevent leakage.

But I'd wait for an expert for this one. Seafood and stuffed "pastry" items can really be tricky.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by Gourmet_Mom (Since I'm not a chef...)
lay them on parchment paper sprinkled with cornstarch and wrap tightly (sprinkle tops also)they'll keep a couple hours or do as Daphne suggested, freeze them and cook frozen. I have done both ways and both work.

good luck. and welcome to the forum!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by cjs (lay them on parchmen...)
Thanks for both your help!!
  Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by CarlaLom (I wanted to prepare ...)
Welcome, Carla! Add my yes to the list. At work, if everything didn't get prepped, then chilled or frozen before, nothing would ever make it out the door on time.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by pjcooks (Welcome, Carla! Add...)
Welcome to the forum, Carla. Come back and let us know how your Rangoon turned out.
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by HomeCulinarian (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome aboard and please accept my vote for freezing or following Jean's recommendation. We don't freeze at work with ours. We chill in the walk-in cooler with parchment and dusted in corn starch and fry to order with a plum sauce.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by firechef (Welcome aboard and p...)
Welcome Carla, nice to have you join us. We have some chefs and a bunch of experienced cooks, so when you have questions, comments, or just want to tickle our fancies, come on and give us a holler.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by bjcotton (Welcome Carla, nice ...)
I told you we had some experts on here....

I'm wondering if I need to try the cornstarch trick with my refrigerated pies? I want to try putting some in the fridge and some in the freezer. The reason being, I want to fry some tomorrow before anyone gets home. I'm really worried about the "goo factor" with the ones in the fridge.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rangoons...safe to prepare ahead? by Gourmet_Mom (I told you we had so...)
I would, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com