My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe...
  Re: (...)
I live on this stuff to the point that I have been given the recipe since I am now responsible for making it. We "down-sized" it for home use this afternoon so I could make it at home as well. Gotta love the guy...I eat about three or four bowls of this daily!

Wonton Soup

SERVES 4 – 6

Look for high-quality fresh wonton wrappers at your local Chinese market; the thinner varieties are superior.

8 cups plus 2 tbsp. Chicken Stock
3 whole scallions plus 1 tbsp. minced
1 3" piece fresh ginger, peeled (2" sliced
into thin coins, 1" finely chopped)
Kosher salt, to taste
2 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 lb. ground pork
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 1/4 tsp. sherry
1 tsp. sesame oil
Pinch of sugar
20 3 1/2" square wonton wrappers
1 packed cup spinach leaves, torn into
large pieces

1. Put 8 cups of the chicken stock, whole scallions, sliced ginger, and salt into a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until flavors have come together, about 10 minutes. Remove broth from heat and set aside.

2. Put remaining 2 tbsp. chicken stock and cornstarch into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add remaining scallions, remaining ginger, pork, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, and sugar and stir well to make a filling for the wontons.

3. Fill a cup with water; set aside. Arrange a wrapper in front of you so that it looks like a diamond; dip your finger in the water and moisten the 4 edges of the wrapper. Place about 1 tsp. of the filling in center of wrapper; fold in half over filling to make a triangle. Press firmly along sides to seal and remove all excess trapped air. Moisten the left and right corners, then draw them together and pinch to seal. Place stuffed wonton on a wax paper–lined sheet pan; cover with a towel. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.

4. Bring reserved broth to a boil, covered, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; add wontons. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wonton filling is firm and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook for 30 seconds more. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.

As a side note about Wonton Soup that my Chef pointed out in my FIRST walk through of the kitchen BEFORE I was hired..."Even though wontons in broth have been established here as a traditional soup [course]," says Irene Kuo in her book The Key to Chinese Cooking (Knopf, 1977), in which a version of this recipe appears, "in China the dish is considered a snack."
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by firechef (I live on this stuff...)
I really like the sound of this, but I have to admit, my favorite is hot and sour soup--it's the only place I eat tofu--do you have a recipe??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by Old Bay (I really like the so...)
We have one in the book at work and I have one in my book so I'll have to compare notes with Dave and see what we have going on and get one for you. Give me a day or two and I'll post one of ours!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by firechef (We have one in the b...)
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I LOVE THIS STUFF! Do I just ask my Asian market purveyor for the right kind of thing to make the "crispy things" that come with it? I know they've got a name, but it's late...LOL!

OMG...Ashley is going to go NUTS! Now I need an easy, CHEAP, GREAT Teriyaki chicken recipe with the "pink" sauce like that Express place, and she'll be happy for MONTHS!

BTW, do they do sushi there? Are you gonna get to do that? OMG, I keep forgetting the range you are into now....LOL! Ashley is going to be dogging me like crazy to learn to do sushi if I have an expert to teach me....LOL! Just kidding, I know that is a hands-on experience. It's just that she and BF LOVE sushi. That is their "treat" when they have a little extra cash.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by Gourmet_Mom (Thank you, thank you...)
The soup sounds really good - duly copied.

Daphne, another gal and I taught ourselves how to do sushi from a few books scattered about the kitchen - what fun and oh my did we make some good stuff!!! haven't done it for a while...

here's a couple of the book we used and they are both very helpful -
Sushi Made Easy, Nobuko Tsuda
Vegetarian Sushi Made Easy, Hiroko Fukuhara & Yasuko Takahata
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by cjs (The soup sounds real...)
Thanks, Jean! I'll have to pick those up. That would be such a fun project!

The pros make it look sooo easy! I'll never forget some that Morimotto did on Iron Chef one time that looked like a stained glass window when cut! It was like a piece of art!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! I'll ...)
YUM YUM LJ and now I can't wait for the hot and sour recipe too!!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by cjs (The soup sounds real...)
I remember some really lovely sushi we made - must upload the pictures again.

This wonton soup looks wonderful too. Time for Chinese food!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by Harborwitch (I remember some real...)
I love Wonton Soup! Thanks LJ!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: My Chef's Wonton Soup Recipe... by bjcotton (I love Wonton Soup! ...)
lj

if you decide to fry up some of those wontons - here is a great Basic sweet and sour sauce.

2 1/2 Tbsp Corn Starch
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup Japanese Rice Vinegar - green label (unseasoned )
1/2 tsp thick soy

1 tsp sherry
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Mix all ingredients. Stir constantly and bring to boil. Use as dip for deep fried Won Tons - or Egg Rolls lumpia - all good.

* can use more or less Cornstarch due weather - (if its moist and sticky
or dry out side -

we like a thin sauce - so use less than the 2 1/2 Tbsp .

Enjoy

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.