Pie Crust Help
  Re: (...)
OK, I've never made my own. I don't have a pastry cutter, and I know you can probably do it with a fork. But can I use my food processor? Wouldn't that work better to cut the butter into the flour? And would I use the metal blade or the plastic one? I'm guessing the metal one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pie Crust Help by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I've never made ...)
I don't have a food processor(sniff sniff) so I don't know, but did it come with any recipes? I know my daughter uses hers to mix bread dough. I also know that you shouldn't work your pie crust too much or it becomes tough, so be careful. Sorry I can't come to your rescue, Daphne! You are always there for me.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by chef_Tab (I don't have a food ...)
I almost passed this thread up = me and baking!!

But, yes I do know this one. Use the metal blade but stop the minute you get small pea size - and use pulses so you don't go past that stage.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by cjs (I almost passed this...)
And drip the ice water in through the feed tube just until the dough begins to come together. Then form it into a disc and chill.

I just made one with whole wheat pastry flour that was divine.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by Harborwitch (And drip the ice wat...)
Thanks you guys! I thought I had read that somewhere!

Now does anybody know the best grease cutter. I'd use bleach, but it's for the PLASTIC lid and basket of my fryer. Kids and appliances=no respect! And when I replace this joker, I'm going with stainless!

ANYWAY, I keep thinking I've seen where vinegar works?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! I ...)
I think vinegar is a good choice too. My mom used to swear by some spray on stuff I think was called "Grease Relief", but that was years ago. Another thing I have read about is Dawn dish soap. Funny, you have the kid problems, mine is the hubby. He is the one that left the freezer ajar and ruined the iron board cover. I have this really great Rowenta ironing board, but do not know the model number so I don't know which cover to order. Argh!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by chef_Tab (I think vinegar is a...)
I use my processor to do the flour/salt/butter or shortening into pea size pieces---I then transfer to a bowl and add the cold water to incorporate....that way it does not get overworked and comes out beautifully flaky every time...hmmm...haven't made a pie in a while.

Or---if I feel agitated and want some stress relief I will just use my fingers to incorporate the shortening/butter...I find the pastry cutter a pain in the you know what
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by Roxanne 21 (I use my processor t...)
Since I'm doing this for the first time, I'm thinking I'm going with you Roxanne. That was my original intent...to take it out after cutting in the shortening/butter. Since I THINK I know what it should feel like, I'll feel safer doing the rest by hand. If this turns out, I'm gonna try that free form peach pie posted earlier. Peaches are really good right now!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by Gourmet_Mom (Since I'm doing this...)
That sounds YUMMM!!!! Peaches are starting to come into the market here---not very good now but in a couple of weeks they will be perfect! Off to find that recipe you are talking about..........
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pie Crust Help by chef_Tab (I think vinegar is a...)
Quote:

He is the one that left the freezer ajar and ruined the iron board cover.

Why do you keep your ironing board cover in the freezer, Tab??

PJ
PJ