Cucumber Salad

2 or 3 cucumbers
2 Tbsp Japanese Vinegar - Green Label - unseasoned
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp chopped Ginger - I grate this
1 tsp Seasame Oil.
1 Drop Tobasco Sauce (optional)

Peel cucumbers and cut into thin slices - Add Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Sugar and Giner, Mix well. Chill and Serve.

Just BEFORE serving add Sesame Oil and Tobasco.

Can use this on - Radishes(Mash or slice) Dikon or English Cukes

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Cucumber Salad by mjkcooking (Here is a Recipe - ...)
I love this!! I think I will try it--how about over thin sliced fennel on a bed of Boston lettuce!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by Old Bay (I love this!! I thi...)
oh my, does sound good!! copied. I usually eat plain or just vinegar and water - nice change of pace.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by cjs (oh my, does sound go...)
Thanks, Marye. I'm with Jean, cucumbers and vinegar are one of our favourites.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by Lorraine (Thanks, Marye. I'm ...)

your all welcome - I love Chinese and this is one I always go back to.

and take to dinners and its always well received.

Easy recipe.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by mjkcooking ([br]your all welcome...)
Thanks Marye, this sounds good. Never used Japanese vinegar before. Will have to get some. Bet this dressing is good on shredded cabbage too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by mjkcooking ([br]your all welcome...)
Since you all seem to like cucumbers so much (I only like them in a few things, and most of the time they bother my stomach, any way), here are a couple of other cucumber salad recipes you may enjoy.

This first one is from a Hungarian cookbook, and matches what they used to serve at a Hungarian restaurant in Daytona Beach.

Hungarian Cucumber Salad
Uborka Salata
(Serves 6)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Large Cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper thin (use a mandoline or a vegetable peeler)
  • 1/2 Cup Vinegar
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • Dash of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Fresh dill
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Blend everything but the cucumbers and dill together in a large glass bowl.
  2. Add the cucumbers.
  3. Let stand for at least one hour (maybe even over night) before serving. The cucumbers should become limp.
  4. Sprinkle the dill on top as a garnish, just before serving.

The second one is something my parents just had recently. My mom said it was very good, and that the seemingly unusual combination of ingredients actually worked very well together.

Cucumber with Mint Vinaigrette

Purée in Blender:
  • 10 - 15 mint leaves (my mom used 15)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Toss vinaigrette with:
  • 1 English cucumber thinly sliced, that's the long cucumber wrapped in plastic in the produce department, (about 4 cups) or use regular cucumbers if English one not available.
Chill and serve.

Notes:
  • Be careful with the red pepper flakes, because the 1/2 tsp. makes it quite hot (especially after it marinates for a while). Try a little less at first and try it. But it is so delicious with the hot flavor.
  • After about 1 & 1/2 hours of marinating it should be drained. If left in the vinaigrette it gets hotter. Tasting it first before it is drained is a good idea. If you like it hot, leaving it in the vinaigrette will not hurt it, but get hotter. The cucumbers seem to pick up "hot" easily.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by labradors (Since you all seem t...)
Maryann, surely you've used rice vinegar..that's all it is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by cjs (Maryann, surely you'...)
That was going to be my question. . . is it rice wine vinegar we are talking about? I did cucumbers with dill, salt and rice wine vinegar for myself the other day, thinking nobody else was going to eat them, and the family left nothing for me!
  Re: Re: Cucumber Salad by iBcookin (That was going to be...)
hi

thought i would add

the brand of Vinegar I use and buy from the Chinese Section at the grocery store is Marukan - genuine Brewed - greed lid it is all natural
is is not a rice wine vinegar - that's is different

The have usually two types of this at the store - always get the green lid
not the yellow lid as it is sweetened

there are different brands - just get the genuine brewed not the sweetened one.

hope this helps.

Marye