Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner
  Re: (...)
Well, since nobody else started this one, I will. I'm afraid I'll forget to post it later. I've got to figure out dinner and get everything ready for school tomorrow....ARRRGGGG!!!!!

I guess I'll review in the order that I tried them. First:

Cheddar Corn Muffins

I didn't make any changes with this one, but I wish I had. It seemed terribly bland. I like my original recipe better. I won't be making this one again.

Turkey Pozole with lettuce, avocado, and radishes

[Image: 66ea4c06a419.jpg]

Changes:

-I didn't include the radishes.
-I could only find white hominy.
-I only used 2 chiles.
-I served a 1/4 cup of polenta made with corn stock in the middle of the bowl and poured the pozole around it.

Review:

Hominy was a new experience for us. We gave this a 9 for flavor. I would consider it a 10, but found the hominy a distraction. The spices in this were great. Next time I will probably use all three chiles. I will probably use a modified version of this in place of my existing chili recipe from now on. William was most impressed with the healthy factor of using the ground turkey. With all the flavors in this, you didn't miss the beef. It was very rich. Also, I didn't quite know what to do with all the condiments, so wound up making a lime vinagrette and ate it like a salad.

Coconut Cream Fried Pies

[Image: eb6ba8114757.jpg] [Image: b7ed53a0a0c1.jpg]

Changes:

-We used the Peach and Blueberry filling instead of the coconut, since we're not fans.
-I used flour for thickening instead of tapioca, since I couldn't find it.
-I added about 1/3 more flour in the pastry recipe because it seemed too sticky.

Review:

We really liked these. William and Andrew said I could sell them! I won't go into too much detail...Lord knows, I started two separate threads on the dang things...LOL! We gave these a 10. Now that I understand the pastry and what it should feel and look like for these, I may make them again.

I would say that I had better luck frying them over baking. The filling oozed out when I baked them. I guess the longer cooking time allowed the filling to heat up and "boil" out. I will also put more like 4-5 tablespoons of filling. I had enough left over, and I think they could handle it.

Regarding the egg and the tapioca questions: Use the egg. As Debbie (Chefelle) mentioned, I think it gave the pastry more structure. The lack of tapioca was not missed. The flour did the trick to thicken the filling. I think it's kinda funny now, that I took three days to make these, because I was afraid it would be a flop! Boy was I wrong.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Well, since nobody e...)
I want to make those fried pies - I love coconut that no one else in the family does so I think I am going to make a little of that filling and fruit for the rest - they look delish!!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by (I want to make those...)
I'm going to be late with my review - BUT...Sharon's little cake didn't pop up last Thursday and we completely blew by it!!

Happy, Happy LATE, LATE Birthday, Sharon!! What did you do?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by (I want to make those...)
I did not make the dinner for review.

I do not like homily. No idea why.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by Corinne (I did not make the d...)
Oh NOooooo. I didn't realize that this was a birthday dinner.

Now I am embarrassed.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by Corinne (Oh NOooooo. I didn'...)
No worries Cory! A lot of us don't participate all the time. I wanted to try this one because I'd never had Pozole or used hominy. AND I'd already planned on making the pies.

OH NO!!!! HAPPY VERY LATE BIRTHDAY, Sharon! Oh my!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (No worries Cory! A ...)
I didn't make this one yet. Been busy working around the house, so not cooking as much. It sounds good though, so it's on the list.

Sharon, so sorry for missing your birthday! Hope it was wonderful and that your family spoiled you properly! Please tell us all about it, where you went, what you did special that day, etc. Wishing you many more.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by Mare749 (I didn't make this o...)
AW gee, sorry to miss your Bday, Sharon. Hope it was a happy one with lots of bubbly teehee
Oh, and Corrine, I know you meant hominy, homily is when a religious leader makes a speech (I think), and I often don't like that either LOL
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by farnfam (AW gee, sorry to mis...)
Thank you all for your birthday wishes - and I will post the details tomorrow, hopefully with photographic evidence that I had a good time, oooooops not those pictures Jen!

Jennifer made the Pozole and we gave it a solid 10. We doubled the recipe and there was just enough left for Jennifer for lunch the next day.

We skipped the corn muffins - and I guess we didn't miss much, thanks for the warning. It was 106 here that day and we just didn't want to turn the oven on. I made pupusas stuffed with pepperjack cheese instead. Those were DAM# good.

Last week was so hectic that we never got to the fried pies, but they are on for this week - I had hoped to make them for the party Saturday night, but Bob and Jennifer conspired to keep me out of the kitchen as much as they could.

All in all the Pozole was a keeper and we'll have it a lot, it's much lighter than my pork version which is a good thing right now.

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes - oh - the balloons haven't all deflated yet so the celebration is still on - you weren't late at all!!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon's Birthday Review Dinner by farnfam (AW gee, sorry to mis...)
Cis, you are so funny! Only you would catch that!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."