Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish!
  Re: (...)
OH MY YUM. This afternoon, we had the piadina with apples in a vinegarette, with gorgonzola and candied walnuts. It was really good. Such a nice blend of flavors and they all came thru separately. I served a chix breast sautéd in wine sauce on the side, but next time I'm going to do the chix ahead a bit and slice it right into the salad.
The spicy, candied walnuts were to die for!! 8.5 YUMS will make again soon!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by farnfam (OH MY YUM. This aft...)
Sounds good! I had to look up the piadina...LOL!

I'd love to hear how you candied the walnuts. I make an Insalata Blu and use walnuts on it. I bet it would be good with spicy, candied ones.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good! I had ...)
It wasn't too hard, Daph. Blanch the walnuts for a minute, drain and then toss in conf sug. When well coated, fry in canola for about a minute. While still warm sprinkle with a mixture of 1t salt 1/2 t pepper 1/2 t cinnamon 1/4 t cayenne. Michael says to start out by sprinkling half the spice mix on, and then add more to taste. Half was about right for us, so I saved the rest to use on something else
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by farnfam (It wasn't too hard, ...)
Thanks Cis! I'm gonna try that the next time I make the Insalata. As a matter of fact, I haven't made that in a while, so it will probably be soon.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Cis! I'm gon...)
Wow, his is involved - I candy nuts also, but very easily - and you could add the cinnamon and anything else to the water mixture.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Candied Nuts

1 1/2 lbs. walnut halves (or any nut - pecans especially good)
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 Pinch cayenne

To candy the walnuts:
Bring the water, sugar and cayenne to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add the walnuts and stir over heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a sieve and let drain. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet which has been sprayed with baking spray in one layer. Bake at 350 F. for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. The nuts are ready when they feel dry to the touch. Watch them carefully, they will burn easily.

----

I don't mean to slam Chef Chirarello, but..
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by cjs (Wow, his is involved...)
Great idea Jean, I like your way for sure. I got a painful burn on my finger frying those nuts
The flavors were VERY intense with Michael's way tho'
Teehee, your way sounds like a perfect use for a toaster oven, which I'm almost convinced I'm going to buy next trip to Watertown.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by farnfam (Great idea Jean, I l...)
Mom used to do something similar with peanuts, back in the day. Although, she didn't drain. They were left in the water sugar mixture until it began to crystalize on the nuts, then pour straight onto the sheet pan and baked. There's a similar product sold at theaters, I think, that is similar, but VERY red and have a slick coating on them. There's another one similar that you use pecans....I can't remember that one so well. It doesn't have as thick of a coating and has the cinnamon in it. Neither had cayenne though. They were a standard Christmas treat.
Daphne
  Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by farnfam (OH MY YUM. This aft...)
That does sound good, Cis! I always used to use a simple spiced syrup to glaze my nuts, too. With so many requests for "healthier" dishes on our menu, we started doing this. (Okay, the nuts weren't so calorie-loaded, but I think it made them feel better about the gobs of dressing that they put on their salads)

I just whisk some egg whites in a big bowl, add a little sugar and a lot of spice, usually cin, allspice and the like, with a touch of cayenne pepper. When really frothy, toss the nuts in, bake and babysit until you can smell them.

I still prefer the simple syrup, but this is a lower cal option.

Absolutely, throw the chix on top!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by pjcooks (That does sound good...)
That sounds good too, PJ. I did use Alterna (sugar sub) for the conf sug.
The piadina was so yummy, like and Italian pita bread. You grill, toast or fry them and it puffs. As soon as you flip it, coat the up side with bleu or gorganzola so it melts on like a glaze. Then you put one on each plate and fill with the apple and frisee salad, top with nuts and fold. Beautiful to look at too. With the chix brst on top it'll be a whole meal, and balanced. These would pack good for a picnic I think.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Another Excellent Michael Chirarello dish! by farnfam (That sounds good too...)
with the more intense flavor you mention, Cis, I think I'll try my method and after I drain the nuts, toss with some more flavor and then bake....hmmmm, sounds workable.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com