More Smoking Fun!!
  Re: (...)
I picked up a book Smoke It!! by Paul Kirk used on Amazon for about $.05 + shipping (how can they do that???) and there was a recipe in it for smoking a leg of lamb. That just went into the smoker with hickory chips.

Also, Tracie (madmax) and I were talking about all the things to try in the smoker and she came up with our family's favorite baked beans (Bud's Beans), so I have 1/2 the recipe in the oven and 1/2 smoking with the lamb. Will be interesting to see how we like it.

I'm so glad some of you got me going and replacing the smoker that made me stay away to a smoker that is fun to work with - Maryann especially. Thanks!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: More Smoking Fun!! by cjs (I picked up a book ...)
This is what I told Bob I want for my birthday present!
[Image: 0006019700298_215X215.jpg]

It's funny you mentioned the leg of lamb. We were remembering the first Superbowl party we had. We smoked a leg of lamb over cherry wood chips and almond wood. We ate some of it, luscious, and the rest went into a smoked lamb and black bean chile for the party. One of the best chiles ever!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by Harborwitch (This is what I told ...)
I've seen that--it's on my wish list too!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by Old Bay (I've seen that--it's...)
Walmart has them for 98.99!!!! HeeeeHeeeee! I may be smoking this weekend. Wonder how many neighbors will either want to be our best friends or want to kick our a$$es????
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by Harborwitch (Walmart has them for...)
Looks just like mine - we got it at Sears. darn, just after I had the chips soaked, I saw the Cherry wood chips in the shed. Well, there is another leg of lamb in the freezer!!

I hope you get it Sharon - not much we want that we don't, is there????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by cjs (Looks just like mine...)
That sounds fabulous, Jean. Let us know how it turns out. We've been meaning to try that. And I'm curious about the beans also. Haven't done that one yet either.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by cjs (Looks just like mine...)
why is that good cooks are spoiled rotten???? Is it those cute "puppies" we married and spoiled rotten???

Bob said; "It's not a very feminine gift." Uh, okay a new fishing pole and reel!!!

I can't wait; smoked cheese, smoked salt, brisket, chicken, duck, sausages, oooooh the list is getting long!!!
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by Harborwitch (This is what I told ...)
Oh that smoker looks amazing! I'd love to have one and smoke my own salmon, turkey, etc.

Let us know how you like it (err, e-hem, when it arrives)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by luvnit (Oh that smoker looks...)
What was that song from Annie????? Tomorrow Tomorrow! I hope, Saturday at the latest. I forgot about smoked fish. Did I mention turkey?? Leg of lamb???
  Re: Re: More Smoking Fun!! by Harborwitch (What was that song f...)
The lamb is fantastic!!
Smoked Lamb with Red Pepper Relish
Smoke It! Paul Kirk

7- to 9-lbs. leg of lamb, trimed
----
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup liquid honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sunflower oil
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black peper

Combine all the ingredients in a blender fitted with a steel blade.
Puree unti smooth.
Place the lamb in a zip-lock bag.
Pour the marinade over it and seal; marinate for 7 to 8 hours or overnight in frig.

To cook, remove the lamb from the marinade and smoke for about 4 hours or until the internal temp. reaches 130F. for medium-rare, or longer if desired.
Allow to rest for 10-15 min.
Carve and serve with red pepper relish.

Red Pepper Relish
(I made a half batch and it's a lot)

4 cups diced sweet red peppers
2 cups dicd Spanish or red onion
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 T. crushed red pepper
2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
2 tsp. sea salt

In a heavy saucepan add the ingredients over medium heat.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour or until themixture has reduced to about 3 cups.
Serve the relish chilled or at room temperature.

-----

My, it was good. I smoked the beans for 2 hours and they had a nice smokiness to them, really enjoyed. (and madmax, it did not change the flavor of Granpa's beans... )
www.achefsjourney.com