OK, let's smoke
  Re: (...)
I have my new smoker, but have no idea of how to smoke anything. I have a Boston Butt thawed, so should I brine it, marinate, rub or just use hickory chips? I know, read the freaking book...I will if all else fails
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: OK, let's smoke by bjcotton (I have my new smoker...)
Okay this is from what I consider the "Bible" of BBQ (mind you this is from the ideal of real BBQ being SMOKING) a book called, Peace, Love and Bar-Be-Cue Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies From the Legends of Barbecue by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe...

"Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder"

1- pork shoulder (18 to 20 pounds)

DRY RUB

1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup Paprika
1/2 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup Kosher Salt, finely ground
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

INJECTION BASTE

1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Make the dry rub:
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an airtight container.

Make the baste:
Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) per pound of shoulder. Coat the shoulder well with dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pile the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to 1 month. Makes enough for about 30 sandwiches.

*This is the recipe I used back on Kambree's birthday for the party we had.

Need a sauce recipe too??? I normally do an apple bbq sauce for this one.

As for the smoking I do have to refer you to the "operating instructions"...sorry!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Okay, this is pretty easy. Brine if you want to. I think Jean likes to brine things, but I usually don't. She posted a recipe a while back, let me know if you need it.

I do use a rub and it's basically the same rub that Jean gave me for salmon, but I leave out the thyme.

* Exported from MasterCook *

DRY RUB FOR SALMON

Recipe By :Recipe By :ForestHouse via a Chef's Journey, & Tom Douglas, Seattle
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 Tbsps firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsps paprika
2 tsps kosher salt
1 1/2 tsps freshly grd. black pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme ( or 1/2 tsp. dried)

Combine the rub ingred.

Sprinkle fillets w/lemon juice

Coat either both or one side of each salmon fillet.

Roast at 375 - 400° to temp. of 140°.

Description:

"Tom Douglas recipe - 1st tried at F.H. 10/30/04 -wonderful flavor!"

You can rub the roast ahead of time, or not, and just put it in the smoker and let it go until it reaches the temp you want. My smoker came with a book that gave some guidelines, based on the weight of your roast. When we do a half pork shoulder, it takes 12 hours, but they are huge. We don't baste it with BBQ sauce until the last hour, but you can use a mop sauce (it's thinner) while it's cooking.

We prefer wood chunks over chips, and always soak them in water for a while first. You are going to love cooking with the smoker. Don't be surprised if your neighbors stop over to see what you're doing though. We drive our neighbors nuts when we're "smokin."
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by Mare749 (Okay, this is pretty...)
Oh yeah the burning stuff...I use straight up apple wood for the recipe I posted or use wood. I too do chunks over chips when I can't get the "real" thing.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by firechef (Oh yeah the burning ...)
Apple wood is our favorite as well, but we also use hickory or mesquite sometimes. The applewood is fabulous with turkey. (That I would definately brine)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by Mare749 (Apple wood is our fa...)
I do a few things that I want a "sweet" smoke on with Sugar Maple as well. Some pork dishes and even some chicken and other fowls. I do a couple of maple syrup BBQ sauces and baste injections. I am a big fan of peach wood as well.
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by firechef (I do a few things th...)
And this is one of those threads that I'd be better off saving the WHOLE THING!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by Gourmet_Mom (And this is one of t...)
When I smoke ribs I do a combination of hickory and cherry wood--really nice rich flavour.
  Re: Re: OK, let's smoke by firechef (Okay this is from wh...)
Thanks for the recipe, Firechef. Now, when you get a chance, could we have the maple sugar recipe? Is that a rub, or injection sauce?

We have a huge pear tree. Does anyone know if that wood is good in the smoker?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Mister uses a rub which he puts on the night before and then rerubs the butt and then slathers it in yellow mustard - then puts it in the smoker - he uses hickory - he doesn't have the rub recipe written down or I would post it - I just know when he makes it there is usually some on the kitchen ceiling -