Bread Question
  Re: (...)
I'm trying out this new recipe and I need some advice. This recipe says to let rise until doubled in size....2 hours. Well, MOST of my recipes say 1 hour. Now I KNOW what you're looking for is "doubled in size", but this recipe is a little different and I'm feeling a little uncertain. The recipe has 2 cups of minced prosciutto and 1 cup of grated parm....sounds good don't it...LOL!

ANYWAY, an hour has passed and I'm anxious....heck it's 6:30 and this stuff has to rise AGAIN before I can cook it and eat it! Do I A)punch it down and move to step two- punch down, knead, split, shape, and allow to rise again "until doubled in size...1 hour" or B) wait the full 2 hours and have it for an after dinner snack? I think the second rise for 1 hour versus 2 hours the first time is what's messing with my mind.

While I'm asking, this recipe also calls for forming it into oblong "country" loaves, but I'm thinking of just putting it in my loaf pans....or NOT? I'm pretty sure it will fit.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bread Question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm trying out this ...)
gosh, that sounds really good - I don't have any answers at all since I am a "way-beginner cook compared to the members here" but love the site - aren't country loaves the same as oblong - as in bread pans -
  Re: Re: Bread Question by (gosh, that sounds re...)
That's what I'm thinking. They are rising in their loaf pans as we speak. Looks like an after dinner snack....maybe with some wine? Or a Hummer? Then to bed early! ARGGGG!!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bread Question by (gosh, that sounds re...)
Daph, my only teacher has been experience. The added prosciutto etc. makes the dough a bit salty and may inhibit the speed of the yeast. That may be why they said two hours. I have more than one bread recipe with a two hour rise. It's not that unusual really. IF it was me I'd follow the times on the recipe as stated. As far as "country loaves" sort of like artisan bread I think. It'd probbly work in your pans but it sounds like it was meant to be a hand formed oblong loaf. Purely asthetic, but I do like them better that way than loaf pan shape.
Cis
Empress for Life
ps Wondering what a "Hummer" is, can not be what I'm thinking
  Re: Re: Bread Question by farnfam (Daph, my only teache...)
Cis, I dont know how to copy the thread yet, but it was repeated on Aug 7th and is called "Some Gooooood Drinks" or something like that. It has the Kahlua Hummer among some other awesome drink ideas. I put it into my favorites!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bread Question by chef_Tab (Cis, I dont know how...)
Oh, thank you Theresa, I think I do remember now. Shame on me for what I thought at first LOL
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Bread Question by farnfam (Oh, thank you Theres...)
It was that gas guzzling vehicle, wasn't it? wink wink.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bread Question by chef_Tab (It was that gas guzz...)
Of course that's it!!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Bread Question by farnfam ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Well, I'm not sure about the bread yet. I LOVE the crispy crust...how did that happen? The prosciutto is not nearly as obvious as I would have expected, but I was so "taken" with dinner, I may be wrong. That AND the fact that I cut the bread STRAIGHT out of the oven...can you say steaming?!?!?!?

I'll give a better account tomorrow. I'm also not too sure I didn't over cook it. I checked it with a thump and let it go another 10...might should have gone another 5 instead...Like I said, I'm reserving judgement for now. I DO know it's worth playing with just for that crust!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bread Question by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I'm not sure a...)
Daphne, do you ever temp the bread to see if it's done instead of the 'thump'?? Works for me. I used to pull it at 185 F. then someone mentioned it should be ~200 F. so I kind of go in the middle...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com