Tuesday's Dinner??
  Re: (...)
Ended up taking a salad and joining the neighbors last night, so didn't get to make the Andouille pizza. Will have it tonight along with a bowl of Chickpea Stew with spinach and Chorizo. Made the stew this a.m. and just tasted it - this is a winner, my it's tasty!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chickpea Stew with Spinach and Chorizo
Food & Wine magazine

2 cups dried chickpeas -- soaked overnight and drained (I only had 1 cup of dried, so subbed half with canned - works fine)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves -- minced
1 large onion -- finely diced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
1 bay leaf
One 28-ounce can Italian tomatoes -- chopped, 1 cup juice reserved
1/2 pound soft cooked chorizo -- sliced 1/4 inch thick (I rendered it before adding to stew)
1 pound spinach -- thick stems discarded
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a medium saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours; add more water as necessary to maintain the level. Drain the chickpeas and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.

In a medium, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, rosemary and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat until sizzling, about 4 minutes. Add the chorizo, the cooked chickpeas and their reserved cooking water and the tomato juice and bring to a simmer. Stir in half of the spinach and cook until wilted, then stir in the remaining spinach. Simmer over moderately low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.

MAKE AHEAD The stew can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently.

Description:
"Food & Wine recipe - This stew, like all those in Catalonia, starts with a sofrito, a thick sauce made with sautéed onions and tomatoes. Once you get all the ingredients in the pot, there's not much to do besides enjoy the aroma wafting from this hearty soup"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by cjs (Ended up taking a sa...)
Chicken mole enchiladas, fried green tomatoes (dredged in chile seasoned cornmeal), maybe some pinto beans.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Jean,that sounds delicious, and healthy. I have it saved for when the weather gets cooler here. I am thinking about making the eggplant and tomato stacks that Cis posted. It was farmers market day again and I bought eggplants and tomatoes. I may put the eggplant on the grill, right now it is draining in a colander. I am undecided as to the meat. Maybe a roasted chicken so I can make the Jambalaya on the grill again later this week. I am still full from lunch, so it is difficult to get motivated. A nap is sounding pretty good.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Well, today I made the eggplant parm with the lovely eggplant my darling hubby bought for me at the farmer's market. Unfortunately my brother and I are the only ones that will eat it. So, the kids and hubby will have macaroni with jarred pink vodka sauce and a salad. (I have a Pampered Chef party to attend tonight!)
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
That sounds like one of the Portuguese dishes that my father used to make - only he used cabbage instead of the spinach - I had forgotten this

We are having short ribs - with veggies in the mix over white rice -
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by (That sounds like one...)
The other day my husband found some fresh local sweet corn that is out of this world. So, he went back for more and that will be dinner along tomato sandwiches. This is one time he can actually do a meatless meal!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by Mare749 (The other day my hus...)
"fresh local sweet corn that is out of this world. "

This summer, I have still not been able to buy 3 ears of corn locally that are all good. We've almost given up on the corn. The good news is, a co-workers brother owns a Dim Sum place in downtown Toronto. today, he brought me in a half BBQ'd duck. All cut up with sauce on the side. I want to eat it so badly, but I also want to save some to try out recipes for the reception. I think supper will win out, and the other person here may get Pogos!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by Lorraine ("fresh local sweet c...)
Oh that's right - recipe testing marathon in Toronto!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by Lorraine ("fresh local sweet c...)
My poor feet are having trouble getting accustomed to "school" shoes. My poor brain is having trouble getting used to school period. Tonight's dinner is evidence of that. I left my recipe at home this morning and I didn't have the energy or brain power to do more than grab some potatoes, baby peas, and a piece of meat for London Broil.

The meat it large enough, that I'll probably cut it in half and use the other half to make the Margarita Flank Steak with Bean Enchiladas I'm SUPPOSED to be making tonight later in the week.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner?? by cjs (Oh that's right - re...)
" Oh that's right - recipe testing marathon in Toronto!!!!
"

Yes!!! He said he'd get me a half duck, but I think I have the whole thing. I need to start searching, crostinis especially, or empanadas of some kind. Or a salad!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.