A recipe for the fun of it...
  Re: (...)
If I were to win the lottery I just might make this one...

I found this one in my in-box from a friend of mine on the east coast:

Scallops with Saffron Sauce and Granny Smith Apple

Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: Under 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients for 4 servings

- 20 Scallops (5 per person depending on size and whether served as a first or main course)
- 5 Granny Smith apples (including 2 for garnish)
- 2 knobs of butter (walnut-sized)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Saffron sauce
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) white wine or vermouth
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) heavy cream (35%)
- A pinch of saffron
- Salt and pepper

Method

1. Peel 3 Granny Smith apples and cut them into pieces.
2. Cook the apples with half the butter and 1 tbsp. water until they are the consistency of a compote.
3. Place the white wine and chopped shallot into a saucepan and reduce by two-thirds. Add the cream and saffron and let the saffron infuse in the sauce.
4. Sauté the scallops in olive oil and butter and season with salt and pepper. For the scallops to be perfectly cooked, the cooking time should be very quick and the heat fairly high in order to lightly brown their surface while keeping them translucent in the middle.

Presentation

Use a rectangular plate if possible. Place a ribbon of the Granny Smith compote in the center of the plate with the scallops arranged on top. Pour the saffron sauce around them and garnish the scallops with some fine julienne of Granny Smith apples.

Sommelier

Chablis La Chablisienne Cuvée L.C. Louis Roche 2002 This is a nice lively white wine with overtones of green apple and good acidity.

Not sure on the wine but it is what he recommended with the recipe and I have yet to try this one so I couldn't tell you. Any takers wanting to make this please let me know how it comes out.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: A recipe for the fun of it... by firechef (If I were to win the...)
Oh my gosh I made that yesterday!!

**kidding ***

If you do win the lottery you're flying me out there to enjoy that dish I can't seem to get enough of scallops lately,
  Re: Re: A recipe for the fun of it... by DFen911 (Oh my gosh I made th...)
I love scallops but just can't seem to be able to afford the saffron...got any I can barrow??? Some how I just don't think any of the neighbors have a pinch of it I can either...heck where I live they probably don't even know what the heck it is.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: A recipe for the fun of it... by firechef (I love scallops but ...)
If you live near Trader Joe's, they have saffron in tiny bottles for a very reasonable price (for saffron).
  Re: Re: A recipe for the fun of it... by coco hernandez (If you live near Tra...)
Unfortunately for me I am several hundred miles from the closest Trader Joe's or anything similar. I can order it through work for a song and a dance and an arm and a leg and my first through fifth born...as long as I pay in advance.