Here is a challenge for you...
  Re: (...)
My husband has been stuck in Turkey (the country not a really large bird) for 4 days now, trying to fly back to Germany. He does not have much flexibility or options available to him. But to try and think of something positive for me...I tried to think of the cusine and what I might like to try from that country. Couldn't come up with anything. I really don't know much about regional dishes of Turkey. I kept thinking of greek/mediteranian dishes.

If you were stuck in Turkey - or heaven forbid decided to vacation there, what would you set out to experience in the cusine?

P.S. Sorry, not to mock Turkey (the Country) but they are not very friendly to our service members.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Here is a challenge for you... by esgunn (My husband has been ...)
Been there done that and I must say that staying close to "home" was the rule of the day. We (the US) was a bit too friendly with certain "ethnic" groups that the government of Turkey didn't like so we were all advised to stay on base in the time I was there. Visited a few times with State Department officials in my "VIP" duties...

As for cuisine...there is a Turkish restaurant in Chicago that has their menu on their website with some ideas. You are not too far off with the Greek and Med Regional dishes. Check out www.turkishcuisine.net and tell him best wishes for a speedy return to Germany and the States (I hope) real soon!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by firechef (Been there done that...)
Thanks LJ. We had friends/squadron members when we were in Abilene Tx, that were thrown in prison in Turkey because they objected to what the Taxi cab driver "said" they owed. I know Steve is holed up in his hotel or on base (I dont' know which) and is not taking many chances. There is just "stuff" that he has been exposed to in the past that I won't even mention.

The other cusine that I couldn't think of earlier is Morocan(sp) which is what the web site you showed also added. Very Interesting.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by esgunn (Thanks LJ. We had ...)
I must say my favourite duty spot was RAF Lakenheath in England before all of the European Theater stuff for VIP transport was moved to Germany. We used to fly into Lakenheath, normally switch to a nice "camo" paint schemed aircraft and continue on out way unless it was a "high press" trip that would require the then 707s and eventually 747s. Great duty with a lot of neat places to see...it is amazing how much so many flight lines look the same...hehehe!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Here is a challenge for you... by esgunn (My husband has been ...)
cafe gulistan
This was a Middle Eastern restaurant menu we wanted to try when we were in Michigan. It will give you some ideas of what Turkish/American food might be.

I work with a couple of Turkish professors. They are brilliant - and interesting personalities for sure...
Hope your husband returns unscathed!
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by firechef (I must say my favour...)
Erin, I just checked on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url...p;x=13&y=22

They have the book I have from the series, Foods of the World, Middle Eastern Cooking for $.99!!! There are some really good recipes in this volume and you'd probably find lots of goodies to try.

None of the ingredients I've seen are things you/we wouldn't be able to find at any store. Have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by cjs (Erin, I just checked...)
20 years ago, my BF and bridge partner was Turkish - she still is, but she lives in Holland and I live in Cleveland - last I saw her was in 2000. She made the most incredible tabule. She would take the bulghur and work in chopped tomatoes and olive oil with her hands. It also contained parsley, but not nearly as much as the Lebanese type. She would serve it with a yogurt/cucumber relish which had scallions and more parsley.

She would also fry eggplant in hot olive oil. She also made leg of lamb. We were living in Ecuador at the time and she couldn't get all of her spices, but I recall she used lots of cumin and coriander.

Hope that helps

Sally
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by cjs (Erin, I just checked...)
Easy choice: Döner Kebab.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Here is a challenge for you... by labradors (Easy choice: Döner K...)
Labs, I was thinking the same thing, and Borek (Bureck). Friends of mine lived in ankhara for 2 years. They gave a Turkish cookbook. I've made a few things from it, but I find the recipes difficult to read, as in, a coffee cup of water versus a tea cup of water etc. What I did make, I really liked.

Love those 99 cent cookbooks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.