Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina
  Re: (...)
Another winner this week. I already had oven-dried tomatoes & pizza dough, so all went together fairly quickly after the onion confit (boy, does that make the house smell good!) was done. And so tasty.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Andouille Sausage Pizza Pie with Onion Confit and Fontina Cheese

Sweet Onion Confit:
2 yellow onions
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Pinch sugar
1/2 cup Champagne vinegar
1 Pinch sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons white wine
---------
Oven Dried Tomatoes:
4 Roma tomatoes
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
3 cloves garlic -- sliced thin
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
----------
For the pizza:
1 pound pizza dough
Cornmeal
1 ounce Fontina cheese -- grated
2 tablespoons prepared Onion Confit
1 link Louisiana-style andouille sausage -- cut into 1/4-inch slices
6 slices Oven-Dried Tomatoes -- (6 to 8)
1 ounce mozzarella -- grated
2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves

For the Onion Confit:

Slice the onions in 1/4-inch thick. In a heavy bottom pot, slowly simmer the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes until softening. Add all the remaining onion confit ingredients. Bring to steamy simmer.

Reduce heat and cover with a parchment paper lid that has a 2-inch hole in the center to allow the steam to escape but protect it so that it can cook low and slow. Press the parchment paper down to touch and cover the onion mixture. Place the covered pan into a 250 degree F oven and bake for 2 to 3 hours or until the onions have softened and the liquids have reduced to a sticky gravy that clings to the onions.

For the Oven Dried Tomatoes:

Slice ends off the tomatoes. Cut the tomato through into 2 to 3 slices. In a mixing bowl mix the tomatoes, thyme, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat the tomatoes. Place on sheet pan and cook at 250 degrees F for 2 to 3 hours until the tomatoes are concentrated and dehydrated. (The onions and the tomatoes can cook in the oven at the same time.)

For the pizza:

Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.

Stretch or roll the dough to about 10 to 12 inches. Place a piece of dough on a pizza paddle or baking sheet that is sprinkled with cornmeal. Oil the edges of the dough and top it with Fontina, 1/2 of the onion confit, the sausage slices, tomatoes and top with mozzarella. Bake until golden brown. Top with parsley and serve hot.

Description:
"Michael Chirello (sp?)"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina by cjs (Another winner this ...)
That sounds excellent, Jean, I love Andouille. Copied and printed. Maybe when I get out of work on Labor Day...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina by pjcooks (That sounds excellen...)
It does sound like a great weekend treat. AND I already have the sun-dried tomatoes AND the dough....so I'm good to go!

One question...it calls for half the onion confit. Other than the multitude of things I can think to use it for, what's the point of making that much if you're only using half?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina by Gourmet_Mom (It does sound like a...)
no point...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina by cjs (Another winner this ...)
That sounds great! I don't have champagne vinegar, could I sub white wine vinegar?

You're on a roll with his recipes!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Andouille Pizza with Onion Confit & Fontina by Lorraine (That sounds great! ...)
that's what I use when I don't have any champagne vinegar - it's just seems a 'softer' vinegar.

"You're on a roll with his recipes!" yeah, and you'd think I'd know how to spell his name by now...
www.achefsjourney.com