Do We Realize????
  Re: (...)
This weekend is Labor Day weekend!!! How did it get here so darn fast? I just looked at the calendar and realized.

What's everyone up to? I sure don't have any idea except for a drink I found on a newsletter this a.m. that will get us started.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Limoncello Collins

16 ounces limoncello
12 ounces gin
8 ounces fresh lemon juice
24 paper thin lemon slices
Ice
16 ounces chilled club soda
8 mint sprigs

In a pitcher, combine the limoncello, gin and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Press 3 thin lemon slices against the inside of each of 8 collins glasses. Add ice to the glasses. Stir the limoncello mixture and pour it into the glasses. Stir 2 ounces of club soda into each drink and garnish with a mint sprig.

Description:
"Hatfields. Los Angeles The Collins was most likely named after 19th-century bartender John Collins of London's Limmer's Hotel. The Tom Collins was originally made with Old Tom, a sweet style of gin that's extremely hard to find today."
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/limoncello-collins-cocktails-2007"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

doesn't this sound good??? Erin, are we supposed to have good weather???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Do We Realize???? by cjs (This weekend is Labo...)
WOW!!! That sounds so good. Our last batch of limoncello came out a little puckery - I think we left it on the peels a bit too long so it might be really really good for this!

Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer will be working. We're hoping to go for a sail with Bill this weekend - but who knows at this point. If it's over 93 I'm not leaving the house! Something will land in the smoker for certain.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Do We Realize???? by cjs (This weekend is Labo...)
That does sound good. Not sure if it makes enough, though!

The only thing I know I am making is Jim's Cinnamon Plum Cake. If I haven't posted the recipe before, here it is. It is so easy to make, and is always a hit.

This recipe came from a cook book from the Hope Lutheran Church in Moose Lake, MN (I have no idea where I got it, I have never been to MN)

1/2c softened butter (I used unsalted)
1c sugar
2 large eggs
1c A/P flour
1tsp baking powder
12 small ripe plums, pitted and halved or quartered depending on size
1TBSP sugar
2-3tsp cinnamon (I like cinnamon I use 3 and a pinch)
2tsp lemon juice.

Beat butter at medium speed with mixer until fluffy, gradually add 1c sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture, beating well. Spread batter in bottom of a greased 9-inch spring form pan. Place plums, cut side down on top of batter. Combine 1TBSP sugar and the cinnamon, sprinkle over plums. Drizzle lemon juice over plums.
Bake uncovered at 350* for one hour or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully remove sides of spring form pan. Serve warm (pretty tasty with vanilla ice cream on it too).

Says it serves 6-8, but that doesn't seem to apply to my household.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by Lorraine (That does sound good...)
oh, that sounds good, Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by cjs (oh, that sounds good...)
Leave it to Jean to give us another tempting adult beverage! I think I will have to add it to the list of things to make this weekend. Hubby's birthday is the 3rd, but we will celebrate this weekend so I will be making the jalapeno apple pie Sharon shared. There is a big festival with my favorite local blues band playing so we will go to that on Saturday night. I am hoping to make the jambalaya on the grill one of the evenings and then whatever hubby chooses for his birthday dinner. Every year the summers go by faster. I always say, once school starts, it seems like the next day is Thanksgiving, and the day after that is Christmas, and then we have to do taxes again. I must say, I am happy that football is back.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by chef_Tab (Leave it to Jean to ...)
We are going camping in our RV and my sister will join us in their tents. There is a really nice campground adjacent to the harbor. It's always a fun time. There's a really good Italian restaurant within walking distance that we'll go to on Friday and my mom will join us for dinner. Then on Saturday my dad will ride his bike down and spend part of the day with us. We have a Italian planned for Saturday night as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Point,_California
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by Trixxee (We are going camping...)
One day, I'm finally making the Spicy Shrimp Satay that I've been meaning to make since last February. I'll add Jean's White Clam Pizza. Then, there's the Fish Tacos again, but this time with the RIGHT recipe...LOL! I also plan to make the Lasagna Soup...I know, it's too hot, but I've decided I just can't wait for cool weather....that's a LONG way away around here. I may or may not get to the Spinach and Three Cheese Manicotti.

I forgot about the Blueberry Bread Pudding...that's in the plan as well!

Geez, I also forgot, I'm behind in cooking and bought the groceries for the stuff listed above. I totally forgot I wanted to make the Andoille Pizza Jean posted.....decisions, decisions.

Then there are lots of fun drinks planned! Including the one you listed Jean.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by Gourmet_Mom (One day, I'm finally...)
Beautiful area, Trixxee - where in the pix would the RV park be located? Wish we got down to that area more often these days.

I sure hope we have good weather this weekend - the warmer the weather, the better that drink will be, I think.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by cjs (Beautiful area, Trix...)
It would be to the south just past the jetty. It's about a 15 minute walk from the campground area to the heart of the restaurants in the harbor. Are you familiar with the area? It's gorgeous, isn't it?
  Re: Re: Do We Realize???? by Trixxee (It would be to the s...)
For a number of years we took the trailer down to Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Long Beach - up and down that area.
www.achefsjourney.com