Melon Brulee
  Re: (...)
I sure wish more of you were retired so you could play with me during the day!! Anyway, I think it was Daphne who posted about an Iron Chef episode that was about melons and one item in each course had to be frozen. We watched that show last night and Roy put my torch out on the island so I could play with this one this a.m. It's really good!!

[Image: melonbrulee.jpg]

Now, I'm off to play with caramel sauce with brandy...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Melon Brulee by cjs (I sure wish more of ...)
This is gorgeous! Is it merely carmelized melon? Are the little cubes frozen?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by chef_Tab (This is gorgeous! Is...)
just 'bruleed' melon squares - some other part of the dish was the frozen part. It was sure tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by cjs (just 'bruleed' melon...)
That looks soooo good Jean! I still haven't gotten a torch. It's on my Christmas list again this year...LOL! I think it got overlooked for two years in a row, because William didn't understand why I would want a torch from the hardware store...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by Gourmet_Mom (That looks soooo goo...)
my husband tried to get me to use his but I insisted on having one of those cute little ones from a kitchen store. Was that a mistake? I have yet to use it.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by chef_Tab (my husband tried to ...)
I hope Jean chimes in to answer your question Theresa, but the reason I'm planning on getting one from the hardware store is the advice I got from some other chefs on another site.

Here's what one had to say about torches:

Bear: "Just your reg'lar common or garden blowtorch, from your hardware shop gas not the old parafin type, they now come with instant ignition, saves looking for a light!, you can get different gas mixtures some burn hotter than others but you dont need a massive flame for most things, you do get a nice wide flame with a regular torch whereas the little "cheffy" torches are little better than windproof lighters that burn too intensely."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by Gourmet_Mom (I hope Jean chimes ...)
If I only had a torch..........
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by Lorraine (If I only had a torc...)
Quote:

If I only had a torch..........Smile

Hmmmm. The new, cook's edition of The Wizard of Oz.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Theresa, take it back if you can. Not only are the torches themselves expensive, but so are the refills. Home Depot, Lowes, Handyman, whatever have small bottles of gas with the burner on them for less than half that cost, plus the gas bottles are bigger....same gas too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Melon Brulee by bjcotton (Theresa, take it bac...)
I tried one of the little kitchen ones and they aren't worth spit. Hold out for a good one from the hardware store.

BILLY J!! WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU??? I sure didn't expect you to post last night!
www.achefsjourney.com