Ropa Vieja Stew Review
  Re: (...)
from Soups, Stews, & Chilies book

This has really been a week for winners and this one sure is! The flavors are wonderful and the spicy mashed sweet potatoes were just made for this. And it's such a pretty dish. We both overate...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by cjs (from Soups, Stews, &...)
You had me at "sweet potatoes", Jean. Thanks for the review. I think I'll unpack that issue, I have company all next week.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by Lorraine (You had me at "sweet...)
I kept picking at the sweet tatoes-they are that good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by cjs (I kept picking at th...)
Darned if there's not another one in the new issue. I'll have to check this out. I MAY be able to get over my last detour and give this dish another try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by Gourmet_Mom (Darned if there's no...)
Thanks Jean, that was the first dish to catch my eye in the new issue. Will put it on the menu for this coming week.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'm assuming this is the same one as in the new issue, since I don't have that book. It looks pretty good to me, can't wait for some company to show up to try it out!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by pjcooks (I'm assuming this is...)
Quote:

I'm assuming this is the same one as in the new issue, since I don't have that book.

If not, please advise!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Jean reviewed the Ropa Vieja STEW with Spicy Mashed sweet potatoes. From the Soups Stews and Chilies book

The one in the new issue is a Ropa Vieja POT PIE with pepper jack biscuits.

The pot pie is a little different. More Red Pepper(2 cup vs 1 cup) 1 poblano and 1 anaheim instead of 2 poblanos. 1 Tbsp Chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayene, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 2 cups roma tomatoes and is served with juice of 1/2 a lime and the pepper jack biscuits.

The stew has the different amounts and minus the additional things menioned above. It is served with scallions and Spicy Mashed Sweet Potatoes.

I did not read through the directions to see if the method was the same or not. Oh, and the amount of Flank Steak is a little different. The pot pies take about an hour longer.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review by esgunn (Jean reviewed the Ro...)
Since Everyone has the Pot pie recipe (well, those that get the magazine) I'll post the stew recipe.

Ropa Vieja Stew
Makes 8 cups
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
C@H Soups Stews and Chilies Book

Saute;Brown; Add
4 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
1 3/4 LB flank Steak, cut into 3 pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 cups onion, chopped
2 poblano Chiles, seeded, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced
2 T. garlic, minced
1 T. tomato paste
1/3 cup masa harina

Deglaze with; Stir In:
1 bottle beer (12oz)
2 cups beef broth
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed (15 oz)
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
1 T. dried oregano leaves
2 t. ground cumin
salt to taste

Garnish with:
Chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 375.
Saute bacon in a large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Brown steak in drippings, about 5 minutes per side, remove and set aside. Add onion, chilies, and bell pepper, and saute until beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in a garlic and tomato paste, cook 3 minutes, then stir in masa harina and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with beer;simmer until nearly evaporated, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add broth, bring to a boil, then return beef to the pot;cover and braise in the oven until fork-tender; about 1 hour. remove flank steak from the pot, shred with 2 forkes, then add back to the pot with reserved bacon, beans, olives and spices. Simmer 5 minutes; season with salt. Garnish with scallions.

Spicy sweet potatoes
Makes about 4 cups
Total Time 35 minutes.
C@H Soups Stews and Chilies Book

2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed.
3 T. unsalted butter
1 T. brown sugar
1 jalapeno, seeded, minced.
Salt and pepper to taste
sliced jalapenos

Boil potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water until tender, about 15 mintues. Drain, return potatoes to pan and dry briefly over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mash butter and sugar int o potatloes using a potato masher.
Stir in minuced jalapeno and season with salt and pepper. Garnish potatoes with sliced jalapeno.

The book show a picture of the bowl full of stew, and a small mound of the mashed potatoes in the stew. With the scalions spinkled on top.
This is one dish from this issue I will sure try!! I don't do sweet potatoes though, except in pie--once a year.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".