OT- My brother's wedding.....
  Re: (...)
We are so excited. Most of the family is flying to Orlando in October for my brother's wedding. Since they are older and combining homes, it is very difficult to think of wedding gifts for them. They both say that they don't need anything and we can't get the bride to register at a department store to help us out. My brother says that he wishes everyone would just come to the wedding and "not worry" about wedding gifts. But, we all know, that just isn't done!!!

So, I am hoping that all of my creative friends on this forum will help me out with gift ideas. (I am working on a photo album with pictures from both families that we will give them at the rehearsal) They will be building a home together, so we're trying to think of something along those lines. Any and all ideas will be soooooo appreciated.

And yes, I am giving the bride a cookbook for her shower and want it to be a special one since she is a good cook. So, could use suggestions on that one as well. Thanks everybody!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by Mare749 (We are so excited. M...)
I'll have to give this some thought, but a couple things come to mind right off. Some things that you would NEVER give a new bride, but you would give someone for an open house...like a lovely framed picture (if you're familiar with her taste in art) or a nifty lamp or small piece of furniture or antique piece.

Then if there's kids, there's the whole "over the top" technology gift of something everyone could enjoy, together. The WII comes to mind (is that how you spell that?) or family style game for the thing if they already have the equipment. On a similar note, a game/puzzle basket for them to have family time together. Always a good way to get two sets of kids together to get to know each other...family game night. That and/or a game table would be cool.

Then there's stuff for the patio or deck.

OK, NEXT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to give th...)
Yea! That is so exciting. Weddings are always fun.

How about Gift Cards - I know it is not very personal, but sure are usefull. Either to Home Depot, a homefurnishings store, or a kitchen store. That way they can use it for their new house to get just what they need.

How about new Kitchen towels. Everyone always needs new kitchen towels, silicone pot holders and mits, new cutting boards.

Or a basket/or gift box of some fun new oils, vinegars, spices, maybe to go with the new cook book. How about all the special publicates books from C@H, some of our favorite reviews and the spices you may need to make some of the recipes.

How about an engraved door knocker with their name on it, or a fun Out Door Spicket - usually copper or outdoor door light switch. When my Aunt and Uncle built their new house I got them a door bell cover that had dragonflies on it and a spicket that had a frog as the handle. (they are outdoorsy people and live in a rural section of Vashon Island).
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by esgunn (Yea! That is so exc...)
Oh, I know another wedding gift I like giving to very close friends. How about two really nice champagne flutes you could go with nice crystal up to waterford or similar, and have it engraved with thier names and wedding date. If they do a wedding toast, they could use them for that.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by esgunn (Oh, I know another ...)
Along the outdoor idea, a visit to an outdoor specialty shop is fun. I found this really cool fountain for a friend's 60th birthday. It was hand crafted out of copper. Lilly pads of various hieghts that the water trickled over with a frog and a couple dragonflies for effect.

Hand made stuff by local artisans is really nice. I have a set of pottery casseroles that I LOVE. Specialty kitchen shops usually have lots of this kind of stuff, way beyond Bed Bath & Beyond. I have a set of imported mixing bowls that everyone knows not to touch. They also carry really nice linens for the kitchen and dining room. As a matter of fact, I need a new set of tea towels...HMMMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by Gourmet_Mom (Along the outdoor id...)
You guys are just great! Thank you very much for some really creative ideas. This is the very reason I asked for help. I just knew some of you would come through with some really cool suggestions! This thread is a keeper. Can't wait to hear some more. Anybody???
Maryann

Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by Mare749 (You guys are just gr...)
What great ideas you have gotten, Maryann!!
All I would add is could you put together your Mom's recipes (and you have a lot of those, 'cause I do too! ) and give to them?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by cjs (What great ideas you...)
"Since they are older and combining homes, it is very difficult to think of wedding gifts for them. They both say that they don't need anything and we can't get the bride to register at a department store to help us out. "

My family and Gil's family feels your pain, Maryann. When his family asks where we will be registered, he tells them "Bank Of America". When we combine both our stuff, we have almost all the smaller stuff we need. What we really need is biig ticket items, sofas, kitchen set, etc. I love antiques, so that's the route I want to go. Gil really doesn't care, he'd eat off a plastic milk crate. But, since both sides of the family keep asking, I registered at Target. (Haven't added anything yet). Until we actually start building a home together, it's really hard.

But, if they drink champagne, the Waterford is a great idea. The Millenium Series , in particular, are beautiful, and come in a boxed set of two. I have a few of them.

Since she likes to cook, do they have a Cuisinart, KitchenAid, or the attachments to go with them? If they like pasta, does she / he make their own? If so, a pasta maker, and pasta bowl serving set would be great. (Must add that to my list, mine's all chipped!!) I know brands of knives are a very personal thing, but if they like one in particular, that's an option. If they like wine or cheese, I think Jean belongs to clubs where she gets some every month.

If they like art, do they have a favourite local artist that sells prints? We were given a frog sculpture that is priceless! Your idea of the pictures is great. If they have a few favourites, you could have them enlarged and dry mounted. I print off lots of pictures I have taken, and put them in dollar store clip on frames, but we were also given a picture frame that I look forward to hanging.

Since she likes to cook, what about unique serving dishes? Offset martini glasses for appetizers, antique serving platters, soup tureen... The gift basket with a bunch of stuff in it sounds like a great idea. Mastercook 9

Geez, I want to go shopping!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by Lorraine ("Since they are olde...)
oh, what a great idea!! igourmet.com has the best cheese club in the world!! Every month a different 1 lb. pkg. of cheese comes and it's so fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- My brother's wedding..... by cjs (oh, what a great ide...)
Yes!!!This is what I want!!!Keep 'em coming, there's a lot of family members worrying about this.

And thanks again, more wonderful ideas!
Maryann