Homemade Limoncello
  Re: (...)
Found this recipe in our local paper and is it good. Was a no brainer for me as lemon drop martinis are my favorite drink and now I can have them anytime. Thought I'd share.

Homemade Limoncello

2 pounds lemons

1 quart (4 cups) clear grain alcohol such as vodka

6 cups purified water

2 ½ cups cane (or granulated) sugar (found in natural food stores, but regular is okay)

With a very fine grater, zest the lemons. Put zest and vodka in a tightly sealed jar or bottle large enough to accommodate at least a quart of liquid.

Place container in a cool, dark and dry place for at least 3 to 5 days. Shake the jar at least twice a day. Zest will turn white when flavoring is done. Strain the zest from the liquid through a fine sieve; discard the zest and set aside the flavored vodka.

Place 6 cups water in a saucepan over low heat and add sugar. Heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear.

Cool syrup to room temperature and mix with lemon vodka. Strain the sweetened lemon vodka through several changes of coffee filters and store in tightly sealed bottles in the refrigerator. Chill and enjoy.

Notes: The author says she uses ½ cheap potato vodka and ½ a more expensive brand.

This is much better than commercial. Tastes fresh and delicious.
Shannon
  Re: Homemade Limoncello by Dismc (Found this recipe in...)
...and you can now have these little goodies too! (I got hit with a darn cold coming on last night, so I'm having one or three of these this afternoon for medicinal purposes... )

Limoncello Collins

16 ounces limoncello
12 ounces gin
8 ounces fresh lemon juice
24 paper thin lemon slices
Ice
16 ounces chilled club soda
8 mint sprigs

In a pitcher, combine the limoncello, gin and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Press 3 thin lemon slices against the inside of each of 8 collins glasses. Add ice to the glasses. Stir the limoncello mixture and pour it into the glasses. Stir 2 ounces of club soda into each drink and garnish with a mint sprig.

Description:
"Hatfields. Los Angeles The Collins was most likely named after 19th-century bartender John Collins of London's Limmer's Hotel. The Tom Collins was originally made with Old Tom, a sweet style of gin that's extremely hard to find today."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Limoncello by cjs (...and you can now h...)
Thanks for this D! We don't have Limoncello here, so now I can make the Collins!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.