Appetizers for Teachers
  Re: (...)
I have been asked by one of my teacher friends to prepare two fairly simple appetizers for a gathering of 30-40 teachers on September 2nd. Here is what I have decided to do: I will make 2 of the cheese cakes and 4 of the shrimp recipe. I have prepared both of them before and they were quite tasty. I followed the recipes exactly except I didn't use light mayonnaise and instead of using halved red cherry tomatoes I used halved Sun Gold Cherry tomatoes. Here are the recipes:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Savory Herb Cheesecake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
CRUST
3/4 cup pecans
3/4 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter
FILLING
2 8 oz packages Neufchatel cheese -- softened
1 11 oz package goat cheese -- softened
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes -- drained, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
1 1/2 tablespoons snipped chives
1 large lemon -- grated and juiced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Garnish: fresh dill sprigs and halved cherry tomatoes

Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of an 8- x 3-inch springform pan with nonstick foil and coat sides with nonstick spray.

CRUST: Pulse pecand and bread crumbs in food processor until nuts are finely ground. Add butter; pulse until mixture forms moist, coarse crumbs. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until crust is set and pale golden. Cool on wire rack. Raise oven temperature to 425°F.

FILLING: Beat cream cheese, goat cheese, sour cream and Parmesan in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs until smooth, then remaining filling ingredients until incorporated. Pour into prepared crust and smooth the top.

Place pan in oven; reduce temperature to 325°F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes until light golden on top and set in the middle. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cover and refrigerate. To serve, let cheesecake come to room temperature. Remove sides from pan; slide cheesecake from of pan onto serving plate, removing foil. Garnish with dill and cherry tomato halves.

PLAN AHEAD: You can prepare and bake cheesecake up to 1 week ahead and refrigerate.

Source:
"Women's Day, January 1, 2008 p112"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chipotle Shrimp Cocktail Bites

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 pounds raw large shrimp -- peeled and deveined
1 12 oz bottle beer
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed with side of knife
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
36 large restaurant style tortilla chips

Place shrimp in large, deep skillet in a single layer; add beer, garlic and salt. Turn heat to medium. Slowly poach shrimp 10 minutes, turning shrimp after 5 minutes, until just cooked through (beer will just be approaching a simmer at this point). Remove shrimp with slotted spoon to bowl and cool. Bring beer and garlic to a boil; boil 8 minutes, or until reduced to 3 Tbs, skimming surface once or twice. Strain into a bowl. Add garlic and mash; cool.

Add chiles, adobo sauce, mayonnaise, chili sauce, red onion, orange zest and juice, and chopped cilantro to beer mixture; whisk dressing until blended.

Cut shrimp into 2 or 3 pieces each and add to dressing; toss to coat.

To serve, top tortilla chips with shredded lettuce and shrimp mixture. Garnish with diced avocado and a cilantro leaf.

PLAN AHEAD: You can make through step 3 up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate.

Source:
"Women's Day, January 1, 2008 p119"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope you enjoy them.

[Image: Appetizers.jpg]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Appetizers for Teachers by bjcotton (I have been asked by...)
wish I felt better, these would probably be very appetizing!! Good luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by cjs (wish I felt better, ...)
Bill, I wish someone had prepared that for my return to school! YUM! I've copied both, but the cheesecake is a must try soon. If my crowd likes it, I think it would make a beautiful treat for Christmas. I'd use small pans and keep them in the fridge in case someone stops by. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, I wish someone...)
My friend the Art Teacher and my sister Carol worked together several years before Carol retired and I used to take them surprise lunches up on occasion. I am doing this for just cost for her. She is a very special person. When my lil' sister, Marilee's, dog died Debbie [the teacher] painted her a picture of her dog laying in the yard in front of a Hydrangea bush and presented it to her for her birthday. A very talented and caring person.

Billy
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by bjcotton (My friend the Art Te...)
The appetizers went over with a Grand Slam! There wasn't even a little taste left although the Chipotle was a little strong for some.

Billy
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by bjcotton (The appetizers went ...)
Good feeling, isn't it?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Appetizers for Teachers by bjcotton (I have been asked by...)
Please forgive my ignorance here, how do you serve the savory cheesecake? Do you eat it as you would a sweet cheesecake? this would be a great dish for me to take with me to NJ when we go to my sister's for Thanksgiving.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by mlucas1 (Please forgive my ig...)
Yes, pretty much like a dessert cheesecake, but very small pieces - they are soooooo rich!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by cjs (Yes, pretty much lik...)
Exactly!

Billy
  Re: Re: Appetizers for Teachers by bjcotton (Exactly!...)
Thank you! I am not a cheesecake eater (don't throw anything at me!) so I just wasn't sure. This recipe sounds really good to me so maybe I'll like a savory version!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]