OT- Hurricanes!
  Re: (...)
YIKES! Who all is in the line of fire of Gustav? Bill, how far in are you and Jane from the Gulf Coast? My prayers for all of you....it's not looking good! And God help the people of NOLA! I just can't believe it may be happening again!

Sonja, are you cringing, looking at Hannah like I am....time to get early prep done and start watching the weather channel almost constant. William's putting hurricane straps on the cabin at the camp Monday. That way we can stay there if we have to...WAY too many LARGE pine trees hanging over my house.

I've got NOAA constantly up on the computer so I can hit refresh. I was shocked to see that it changed so dramatically overnight...towards us!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT- Hurricanes! by Gourmet_Mom (YIKES! Who all is i...)
I don't know how you all deal with hurricanes and tornadoes, I sure hope anyone who will be affected stays safe and sound throughout it all.

Daphne, what are hurricane straps?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by pjcooks (I don't know how you...)
Hurricane straps are used to "anchor" small buildings and mobile homes. It's basically large "screws" that you put in the ground around the building that go way in the ground and designed not to come loose. Then you take wide straps made for this purpose and attach to the screws and run through the foundation of the building (or over the top) and attach to a "screw" on the other side.
Daphne
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by Gourmet_Mom (Hurricane straps are...)
" Hurricane straps are used to "anchor" small buildings and mobile homes "

Wow. That's totally foreign for me. I almost feel guilty basking in our great weather. Stay safe, and I hope the straps prove unnecessary.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Yes, Daphne, I am in cringe mode - I was supposed to have my 2nd cataract surgery on Tuesday but I had a very bad flu virus last week that kept me from going to my pre-op visit so the Tuesday surgery was cancelled - I am glad because if we have to leave I would not have been able to drive - gosh, yesterday, it just looked like Hanna was just "out there" - every yard around ours has pine trees!!! Good luck to you and yours as well!!! I will be filling water bottles the rest of the week since we had "drill" for Fay
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by (Yes, Daphne, I am in...)
Please stay safe all of you in the paths of these monsters. Our dear friend Francois is in Pensacola waiting for our other friend Bill so they can go look at a boat that's surely going to be in the path of the eastern edge of Gustav. Bill told Francois to wait to buy the boat until after the hurricane. I don't know if he'll be able to convince him - I surely hope he can also convince him that this is not a good time to sail a boat to New York/Pennsylvania area from Florida's panhandle. Bill says he'll more than likely head to NOLA after Gustav to join the FEMA crew there.

Stay safe - our prayers are with you.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by (Yes, Daphne, I am in...)
Sonja, one of the advantages of living where I do is that we have a well...NO WATER BOTTLES...YEA! We've DO need to service our generator, at least you've already done that.

Lorraine, don't feel too bad, the weather is gorgeous here right now. Now later in the week....who knows.
Daphne
We're about 100 miles NW of Galveston--I think we are looking at mainly a rain event, maybe major. It depends on where it comes ashore and how long it stays around.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by Old Bay (We're about 100 mile...)
Stay safe Bill, while I know you hate it for NOLA, deep down you've gotta be glad it's not headed your way dead on. I'll be watching!

Sharon, I hope your friend uses common sense here. Leaving Pensacola in a boat right now would be suicide! Even if he DID dodge Gustav, once he gets around Florida, he'll have Hanna to deal with.
Daphne
  Re: Re: OT- Hurricanes! by Gourmet_Mom (Sonja, one of the ad...)
Where in NC (or around) do you live, Daphne? Yes, we did the generator, and cord drill already - I have lived here for 63 years and we have had only two direct hits in that time - and neither was over a Cat 1 or 2 - but we were without power in 1979 (David) for a little over a week (the power company has gotten better since then!!)