Ladenia Recipe (Greek Pizza)
  Re: (...)
I finally tried making Ladenia. I put two recipes together. One for the topping and one for the dough. If you like a crunchy crust you'll enjoy this Greek Pizza. Next time I'm going to add some additional toppings like feta cheese and kalamata olives the last 15 minutes of baking.

Dough:
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp. dried yeast (1 packet)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 3/4 – 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Topping
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
2 large tomatoes, cut in half then cut into half-moon slices
coarse sea salt
ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. dry Greek oregano
extra-virgin olive oil (for finishing)

Put the warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle it with the dried yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes while the yeast begins working. Mix in the salt and olive oil. Stir in the smaller amount of flour, and add enough of the remaining flour to form slightly sticky dough. Adding flour as necessary, knead the dough until it is smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky. (Kneading the dough in a stand mixer makes the task quick and easy.)

Spread 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over the bottom of a 15” round pan, or a 12” x 14” roasting pan. Make sure the sides of the pan are higher than the dough will be after it rises and is covered by toppings.

Start stretching the dough out with your hands, and then put it into the pan. Press the dough out until it fully covers the pan’s bottom. If some of the olive oil oozes over the dough, use it to lightly oil the top of the dough. Cover the pan with a dish cloth or plastic wrap and set it aside to rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 1 hour).

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

When the dough has finished rising, use your fingertips to make little indentations all over it. Pour and evenly spread the olive oil over your dough, followed by spreading out the sliced onions all over area of the Ladenia. Now top with your tomato slices, coarse sea salt, black pepper and dry Greek oregano.
Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, or until the sides of the Ladenia have browned and the dough is cooked through.

Cut into pieces and serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.
  Re: Ladenia Recipe (Greek Pizza) by ktsrosie (I finally tried maki...)
Well, I hope you had a different dough than I made - here's what I posted back in July -

"Lathenia tis Alikis (Greek Pizza)
#59695 - 07/04/08 05:55 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Been a long time since I've thrown food away...but, we talked of this particular pizza (can't find the recipe tho) on a couple of threads - "Khachapuri - Greek Pizza" and "Ladenia (Greek Pizza)."

I made the dough a while back and just put in freezer. Used it last night for a Margharita pizza - well, kind of. Used a little basil, but a lot of fresh oregano and that was really good. The dough is just awful - it's tastes like some kind of a bisquick doughy bread thing. Yuck. We scraped off the topping and ate that and threw the base away."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ladenia Recipe (Greek Pizza) by cjs (Well, I hope you had...)
This dough was good. Ladenia crust is crunchier than pizza crust. I made the dough in KA with the dough hook. It was really easy and came together fast. I kneaded the dough for a couple minutes by hand after I took it out of the mixer. If I remember the recipe you used had self rising flour and milk(?).
  Re: Re: Ladenia Recipe (Greek Pizza) by ktsrosie (This dough was good....)
Another reason I should not throw away recipes I don't care for, so I can compare later....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ladenia Recipe (Greek Pizza) by ktsrosie (I finally tried maki...)
I'm going to try this in my pizza oven!! I'm so glad you jumped in with a recipe--you are so generous in so many ways--stay with us--we're a lot of fun!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".