We Did The Big NO!
  Re: (...)
Years ago, the days of the 3-martini lunches, I had a boss who had (VERY) good reason to say evey once in a while, "Jeannie must drank her lunch again..." I worked in the plant and had to call foreman and make different announcements over an intercom thing that went all over the 5 or 6 plant bldgs. And everyone knew when I had gone out to lunch and had too much wine....

Roy & I drank our lunch today and did we ever have fun a a great grocery store and Costco!!

Our whole mission this a.m. was to go to QFC and pick up a beautiful pork belly they had ordered for me (12 # - gonna be so much fun). On the way to the meat dept. had to go thru the wine dept. and to our pleasant surprise, Ravenswood Zin was on sale for $7.99 - so, had to grab a case of that and also saw some Estancia Shiraz and zin that we couldn't pass up.

Then on to Costco - and we really got into trouble - beauutiful pork loin (for more Canadian bacon), 2 whole chix for some beer can smoked chix, black cod, chuck roasts to mix with some boneless short ribs for ground beef - oh my, do we have things to play with.

But, that's not the best part - that's still to come. We stopped at an Italian restaurant for lunch that we've been trying to get to for 3 years. We started with a nice Graziano (California) Zin and the antipasti misto. Should have stopped there, but decided to order for me a Margharita pizza (medium crust) and Roy can't stand that much crust so he ordered his own with a thin crust. when they delivered it, he had a what wasn't even a med. crust, it was a THICK crust. He's such a wimp in those situations, he wanted to just whine thru lunch and not make a fuss. But, who wants to listen to that - so, I told the wait person that that's not what he ordered and since they had to make a whole new one, they'd better make a new one for me too, cause I wouldn't be eating in front of him.

They were great about it - you really have to be nice about it when you send food back, so the chef/cook doesn't spit in your food... Not only were they very nice about the mix up (cause she knew she'd made the mistake) they kept filling our glasses with wonderful wine.

Thank God, I didn't have to drive all the way back to P.A., we'd have been in jail for sure! But, we made it home, everything in is in the frig for me to play with tomorrow. And I'm going to have a ball.

Probably more information that anyone would ever want from me, but that too bad, it was a great afternoon. I was coherent enough to get my beef ribs and my liittle pork chops in the smoker and who knows what we'll do with them - sure don't need any dinner with all the pizza we brot home.

Oh, forgot to mention, they served an olive oil on the table that was infused with all kinds of herbs and (I'm sure) garlic that was incredible. They even sold me a carafe (sp?) of it and told me to bring it back anytime and they refill it for me. So, I can take my time figuring out what the heck is in it.

That was my day - and I'm probably going to look at this tomorrow morning and wonder why the hell I posted all this drivel.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: We Did The Big NO! by cjs (Years ago, the days ...)
Oh what a fun day you had!!! That sounds like my kind of day all the way around!!! Luckily we're only 7 minutes from a winery - wine tasting on Sunday afternoon is fun! hic Jennifer and I went tasting week before last - and walked out of there with a case of Clay Station 2006 Viognier (48.00), a bottle of Joe Blow Red for Bob, plus our wine club selections - Lorre Donna Reisling and Brazin (the best Zin I've had in a long time. Jen bought a bottle of bubbly that we shared while cooking dinner.

I think we're going to check the Asian supermarket for pork belly tomorrow. I'm also wanting a nice smoked chicken.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Honestly, that sounds like a perfect Friday to me! Glad you had such a nice day. It's fun to be a little naughty sometimes. (Though I have no qualms about going out to lunch with my best friend once a week and having 2 glasses of wine).
  Re: Re: We Did The Big NO! by Trixxee (Honestly, that sound...)
Now THAT is my kinda day!!!!! I have had that kind of dinner instead of lunch on occassion since I'm usually busy during the middle of the day. But sometimes cocktail hour gets the better of me and we skip dinner altogther. Usually this only happens if I've got some good bread around and some yummy appies or leftovers available.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
oh, man, sounds like you had a WONDERFUL day!! Life is way too short not to enjoy those kinds of days!!
  Re: Re: We Did The Big NO! by (oh, man, sounds like...)
Those are always the best kind of days! You go out with a mission in mind, but it's fun to get "a little sidetracked" along the way. That's when we do some of our best shopping. Sounds like you did too.

And don't you dare look at this tomorrow and wonder why you wrote it. It's fun for us to hear about your fun. That's a great afternoon. Just might have to copy that one tomorrow. (in our own town, of course!)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: We Did The Big NO! by Mare749 (Those are always the...)
I just love grocery shopping after cocktails. You come home with such interesting stuff!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Bless you my children!! You can seize the day, drink the nectar of the gods, eat from the table of Nero, drink from the cup of Caymus, listen to the melodies of Vivaldi, and dine with Jacque & Julia--we can't wait to meet you and Roy!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: We Did The Big NO! by Old Bay (Bless you my childre...)
I am so jealous!! Working today was such a bear.

Derek and I don't those kind of days often, but so cherish them when we do
  Re: Re: We Did The Big NO! by Harborwitch (I just love grocery ...)
Quote:

I just love grocery shopping after cocktails. You come home with such interesting stuff!!!

And I thought I was the only one with improved thinking skills after drinking
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life