BBQ Egg Rolls
  Re: (...)
Hubby and I just attended the annual Blue Springs Blaze Off. It is a sanctioned BBQ competition. We have gone every year since we moved here and it is just so fun to sample BBQ. If I were a clever person, I would have brought my camera. The smokers themselves are amazing. One smoker is actually made from an old airplane! But the fun and "hot" item this year was the BBQ egg roll. One of the competitors puts pulled pork in an eggroll wrapper, deep fries it, and serves it in a cup with BBQ sauce. I still like the burnt ends the best, but this egg roll was delicious, and quite the hit. More than ever I want a smoker.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by chef_Tab (Hubby and I just att...)
OH, MY! LJ is going to SOOOOO be all over this one! I'm picturing a new item on the next Iowa State Tailgating party!

The whole idea of that tender meat inside a crispy crust is making me drool! When we start doing butts later this fall when the weather isn't so hot, I have got to do this!!! (I have a thing about barbeque and hot weather. They just don't seem to go together. I guess it goes back to hog killin' time being in the fall during in my early years.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (OH, MY! LJ is going...)
"barbeque and hot weather." - and here, I've always thot they were made for each other!!! who knew

Oh Tab, these have go to be played with - sounds really good. Now, I have a brisket marinating to smoke tomorrow, guess I'd better get wome (or 'some') wrapers
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by Gourmet_Mom (OH, MY! LJ is going...)
I keep trying to convince Firechef to enter these competitions near me....for selfish reasons! One of the competitors was actually named "firechef.com". I knew it wasn't LJ, though, since he has his hands full with Kambree this week. The food was the highlight, but it is fun to walk around and see the unique smokers and even names people come up with for their teams.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by chef_Tab (I keep trying to con...)
Quote:

I keep trying to convince Firechef to enter these competitions near me....for selfish reasons! One of the competitors was actually named "firechef.com". I knew it wasn't LJ, though, since he has his hands full with Kambree this week. The food was the highlight, but it is fun to walk around and see the unique smokers and even names people come up with for their teams.

About five years ago I won, with my team, our county brisket cook off. We qualified for the Houston Stock Show & Rodeo (big deal!!)--we didn't win there, but it was a lot of fun and quite an honor. So much work I'll never do it again--there were 40 teams here, 200 in Houston,---you really pray you'll come in 2nd so you don't have to go to Houston!! O, our name was "Millers Moppers"--ironically, I don't mop my brisket.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by cjs ("barbeque and hot we...)
Brilliant minds must run together! Brisket on the smoker tomorrow with chipotle maple beans.

The egg rolls sound really good. Hmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by chef_Tab (Hubby and I just att...)
" One of the competitors puts pulled pork in an eggroll wrapper, deep fries it, and serves it in a cup with BBQ sauce "

I put the pork in an empanada, I can only imagine how good it would be smoked.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: BBQ Egg Rolls by Lorraine (" One of the competi...)
all kinds of goodies to do with the leftovers - thank heavens since there are only the two of us...well, there are neighbors. Good ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com