Smoking a Brisket
  Re: (...)
Did a brisket yesterday and what a tasty piece of meat this was. (But, is anyone else getting tired of smoked flavor??? – I’m going to lay low for a little while now) 

I used Tom Douglas’ rub for the brisket (thanks Maryann) and let it marinade two days (not on purpose, ran out of time), rinsed and smoked it for 9 hours and cut a little chunk off for dinner and put the rest in a slow oven with some of the Carolina sauce for two more hours. After that, it was just melt in the mouth tender.

I read so much about the pros and cons of the three (major) sauces, decided to make all three and see which we liked best. Past making of the Carolina sauce, it was always too vinegary for us, but this one turned out delicious. The three I made – Carolina, Kansas City and Texas.

Kansas City BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...IBS-242246

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium-size onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar, or more to taste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons pineapple juice (optional)
1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, or 2 tablespoons meat drippings
2 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, or more to taste
2 tablespoons prepared mustard of your choice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt
1. Heat the oil in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until softened but not brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, pineapple juice (if using), hot sauce, liquid smoke, molasses, brown sugar, prepared and dry mustards, black pepper, and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.
3. Remove the barbecue sauce from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt to taste and more cider vinegar, hot sauce, and/or brown sugar as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned.
4. Transfer the barbecue sauce to a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature. The sauce will keep, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for several weeks.
------

Carolina BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...HES-101803

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Stir all ingredients in small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

-----

Texas BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...KET-101806

1 cup purchased barbecue sauce (such as Bull's-Eye)
1 tablespoon chili powder

-----

I’m so glad I made all three – we loved all three of them! But, I think the Carolina sauce would be best on a sandwich. (our whole dinner was just a tasting menu really and fun)

There are some rubs and mopping sauces connected with the above recipes that sound like fun to make. Oh, I used mesquite chunks.

Now, I’m going to stay away from smoking a little bit – until one of you comes up with something I can’t pass up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoking a Brisket by cjs (Did a brisket yester...)
Those sound really good Jean. Have to cut the brisket down a little...not even the 800 pounder can eat 17 pounds
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by bjcotton (Those sound really g...)
mine was about 5-7 lbs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by cjs (mine was about 5-7 l...)
I've often thought I might smoke a brisket, but I thought it would be hard to find the right size rolling papers....and difficult to keep it lit
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by cjs (mine was about 5-7 l...)
We did a little one and it was great - the maple chipotle beans came out of the smoker fantastic tasting - but the beans got a bit hard?????? Not burned out yet.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by Harborwitch (We did a little one ...)
Jean, I do know what you mean. When we first moved here, I thought it was my job to figure out which of the gajillion BBQ places here had the best "Q". We sampled tons and there was a time I didn't want to see smoked meat again. I still am not the biggest fan of beef brisket. I have learned moderation. It helps that my favorite place is the furthest too. Dont worry, the craving will hit again.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by chef_Tab (Jean, I do know what...)
So glad you enjoyed it, Jean. Yes, we do get smoked out after a while, then it's time to take a break for a bit. We'll probably only use ours one or two more times before the cold weather hits. I've been wanting to do a turkey, but have to research it first since it will probably need a brine and also some injecting to keep it moist.

Thanks for the sauce recipes. They will be fun to try.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by Mare749 (So glad you enjoyed ...)
We smoke 12-16 lb whole brisket--I don't think they sell them outside Texas/Memphis/Kansas City. We do a dry rub and smoke,fat side up for four hours at 225, and then I cover in foil and cook 6-8 more hours at 225. You don't need sauce. Slice the flat cut, use as a main course, and shread the point for sandwiches and use sauce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by Old Bay (We smoke 12-16 lb wh...)
Well, here's something for you to try. We were at a food show, and they were advertising wood chips made out of the barrels that they age the bourbon in. When we ordered them, they didn't seem to exist. So, last week, he bought a gallon of bourbon and is soaking the wood chips in it. I figure we can smoke the chips, and I'll drink the bourbon. Just kidding.

I've never had a smoked brisket, so can't wait to try it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoking a Brisket by Lorraine (Well, here's somethi...)
I would drink the bourbon (or Scotch) and use pecan wood--OMG!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".