Preaching to the Choir, Part II
  Re: (...)
I never know for sure whether to post this kind of thing or not, but because the lentil soup turned out so wonderful, I decided to go ahead - just in case even one of us doesn't do this.

Whenever I have even a 1/4 cup of gravy, stock, meat sauce leftover over I put it in a bag and add to a large bag in the freezer. When a recipe, such as the lentil soup calls for 5 cups of chicken stock, I make up the 5 cups (or whatever) of bits and pcs. I have in the freezer.

Today's chicken stock was made up of chicken stock, corn stock, beef sauce from something, and a little lamb gravy. The flavors are just great. The thick gravies just dissolve into the more liquidy portion and just add wonderful flavor.

That's Susie Homemaker's tip for the day...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by cjs (I never know for sur...)
Thanks Susie---good thought and advice there (as usual!!!)

Guess I won't discard those odd bits of sauces anymore--gotta get a bigger freezer
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by Roxanne 21 (Thanks Susie---good ...)
I do freeze the leftover sauces, but forget what they are AND forget to use them. I need a labeling and inventory system. It wouldn't hurt to inventory my pantry either! I can be such a ditz.
What do you freeze yours in, Jean, and how do you lable?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by chef_Tab (I do freeze the left...)
I always freeze it here, but I'm moving into an apartment that only has a little freezer on the top of the fridge. I freeze mine her e in ziplock baggies.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by Lorraine (I always freeze it h...)

Dear Susie Q

Loved your tip - makes sense to me to do that - will let you know

how my recipes turn out with all the extras put in.

Got to get a better Frezzer too.

M
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
I do that same thing, Jean - my mama taught me this - she did it basically to make soups and stews - it is a good tip!!! -
I freeze most everything (refreeze--pesto, stock, soup).  Nothing raw after thawing!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by Old Bay (I freeze most everyt...)
Dear Susie,

Love the idea, never thought to freeze those little leftovers. . . however . . . in my house the dogs expect those leftovers to sauce their kibbles and would be MORE than upset if they went into a bag and disappeared into the freezer!

Somehow they got the idea that they were members of the family and expect to be treated as such!
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by iBcookin (Dear Susie,[br][br]L...)
Do Not upset the puppies for God's sake!!

Tab, I just write with a marker on the little plastic bags or tape a note on the bag. I use them in cooking rice, couscous, even polenta.

Lorraine, I don't think it's going to be long after your arrival that there is a freezer delivered to you house - no way can the two of you get along with that little one!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preaching to the Choir, Part II by cjs (Do Not upset the pup...)
I do that with most of my stocks when I make a big pot of soup, but never thought to use the little portions. Something new for me to try.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy