Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert?
  Re: (...)
I made a carrot cake, put Zanté Currants [they're black currants], dried cranberries, walnuts, and pineapple in it. I wanted to put coconut but Paul doesn't like it, so I left it out. Will probably eat it for a snack! Oh, I used the currants because I was out of Golden Raisins. They don't seem to have as much flavor as Red Currants though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by bjcotton (I made a carrot cake...)
Gosh, I never thought of using pineapple in carrot cake - that would certainly keep it moist - I love carrot cake - I am going to try the pineapple next time - thanks, Billy - it sounds yummy -
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by (Gosh, I never though...)
Sounds good Billyj. I'm not a Grandma yet, except to two dogs and a cat, but I made banana muffins this afternoon. It just seems like the right time for it ie; carrot cakes, zuchini breads, banana muffins
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by farnfam (Sounds good Billyj. ...)
A co-worker gave me 4 huge bags of pears and peaches. I have some in sugar to make jam, but I cut some up, melted some butter and brown sugar, added some cinnamon, dried cherries, a southern going banana, nutmeg, fried the whole thing up. Very good over ice cream.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by farnfam (Sounds good Billyj. ...)
Billy and all - here is a wonderful little cake bar instead of a cake = from a bakery cook book
of Iowa

Carrot- Pineapple Pecan Cake

2 cups crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups shedded carrots
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp salt

Mix all the cake ingredients together in an electric mixer until combin4ed. Pour batter into a greased 9/13 inch glass pan. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frosting:

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
Room temperature
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the frosting beat all the ingredients together until smooth. Frost cake while still warm..

Makes 18 servrings.

Enjoy!

Have made this many times and always a big hit.

M.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by mjkcooking (Billy and all - he...)
That sounds good! I've got to frost my Carrot cake today, but I'm not a very good froster. I figure if it's all covered to approximately the same depth it's okay
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by (Gosh, I never though...)
This Carrot Cake, that I have been making for years and is a real favorite of my family, has pineapple in it.

CARROT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
YIELD: 3 LAYER 9" CAKE

CAKE:
2 CUPS SUGAR
4 EGGS
1 1/2 CUPS OIL
2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, SIFTED
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 1/2 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
3 TEASPOONS CINNAMON
PINCH OF SALT
2 CUPS FINELY GRATED CARROTS
3/4 CUP CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, DRAINED
1/2 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS

FROSTING:
1 8 OZ PKG CREAM CHEESE, SOFTENED
1 STICK BUTTER, SOFTENED
4 CUPS CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS VANILLA

COMBINE SUGAR, EGGS AND OIL; SIFT FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, CINNAMON AND SALT TOGETHER; ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO SUGAR-EGG MIXTURE, AND BEAT WELL. ADD CARROTS, PINEAPPLE AND WALNUTS. MIX WELL. POUR BATTER INTO 3 WELL GREASED 9" CAKE PANS (USING ABOUT 1-1/2 CUPS BATTER IN EACH).

BAKE AT 350 FOR 20-25 MINUTES. REMOVE CAKES FROM PANS AND COOL ON RACKS.

FROSTING:

CREAM TOGETHER THE CREAM CHEESE AND BUTTER. GRADUALLY ADD THE CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR AND VANILLA. BEAT MIXTURE UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY.

WHEN CAKES HAVE COOLED FROST WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING USING ABOUT 3/4 CUP BETWEEN EACH LAYER AND REST ON TOP. DO NOT FROST SIDES.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by smschwag (This Carrot Cake, th...)
Here's my favorite zucchini bread - it has pineapple and carrots. It's delicious!

Zucchini Carrot Pineapple Bread

3 eggs
1 cup oil (or I use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup grated carrot
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Beat together eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in grated zucchini, crushed pineapple, and grated carrot. Mix together flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to wet ingredients and stir until moistened. Gently fold in nuts and raisins, if desired. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans (fill pan 1/2 - 2/3 full) and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by ryansnurse (Here's my favorite z...)
Oohh, copied all the recipes. Loved the idea of the carrot cake bars. And the zucchini bread with carrots and pineapple sounds yummy, too!

I thought I was the only one who substitues applesauce for some of the oil! Or I keep apricot baby food on hand and use that instead of some of the oil.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandma, What's For Dessert? by iBcookin (Oohh, copied all the...)

Oh darn - I forgot to add to the above - Carrot/Pineapple Pecan Cake recipe

that to make bars bake in a 15.25X10.25 X.75 in. pan

Sorry - Some days can't think.

M.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.