Smoking a Ham
  Re: (...)
Has anyone done this? One of my friends mentioned how good it was, but then she had an attack of CRS and couldn't remember anything else about it.

In Meatball, wood chunks are a seasonal thing. Most of the stores I went to yesterday only had the small chips left. I was thinking they would probably burn up in a hurry. Any ideas?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Smoking a Ham by bjcotton (Has anyone done this...)
Check with Sears - our little podunk carries chips.
Also, if a store can carry them in the good months there is no reason they can't have them for you the rest of the year.

Billy, anyone can smoke a ham - but, it won't be like the ones we buy because those are aged and smoked and injected and lots of 'stuff' - jusst buy an uncured ham and go for it.

My smoked porkchops are what I use for ham now - much less waste, and I can always get the meat I want.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoking a Ham by bjcotton (Has anyone done this...)
" In Meatball, wood chunks are a seasonal thing "

Same thing here, Billy, unless you have a "barbeque" store. but, then I'm paying premium prices. Just easier to go to Gil's and use his.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoking a Ham by Lorraine (" In Meatball, wood ...)
I had the hardest time convincing Bob that this was the time to stock up for winter. He couldn't figure out why I bought 4 bags of chips. Of course there's no variety left this time of year either.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoking a Ham by Harborwitch (I had the hardest ti...)
I called three stores and asked them if they had a variety of chunks in stock. All three said yes they did. I got to the stores and they had Hickory and Mesquite in chunks and the rest in chips. I had repeated myself so they knew I was looking for chunks. I'll bet the clerks in those departments don't forget me for a while....instant bit@ch for lying to me!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy