Sambal Olek?
  Re: (...)
Okay, another one of my crazy questions - does anyone know of some good recipes for using a Thai (I think) hot sauce called Sambal Olek? My stepson has raved about this sauce, so I finally found it and now, google isn't showing me any good recipes to try. I'd guess I can just try some kind of stir fry and throw it in, but would like to see if it works with things like coconut milk, etc. I love Thai food! Thx!
  Re: Sambal Olek? by carolekv (Okay, another one of...)
I wasn't sure exactly what Sambal Oelek was Carole, so I didn't comment on it. The next recipe I entered (Asian Barbecued Pork with Sweet Tart Sauce) in MasterCook called for it, so I guess I'll be waiting for an answer along with you.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Sambal Olek? by carolekv (Okay, another one of...)
Carole, the only recipe I have made thus far(I am relatively new here) that called for Sambal Olek was Spicy Pickled Vegetables. It was a recommended side dish for Korean Beef Bulgogi. I was unable to find Sambal Olek and substituted Thai chili paste. It was in issue 70. It did not have coconut milk in it tho. Good luck to you!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by chef_Tab (Carole, the only rec...)
Good question---I have a tiny jar of this Sambal Olek in my spice cupboard---I JUST KNOW that I saw a recipe SOMEWHERE calling for this----GEESH!!!! Curiouser and curiouser

I will check--I think it was in one of my Indian recipe books....haven't been there for a while!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by Roxanne 21 (Good question---I ha...)
I just tend to throw it in stuff that I am making - stir fry, used some in my meat loaf, a pasta primavera, just about anything. Chelsea made me get some when we were shopping at school with her. I found that I liked that more than tabasco, not vinegary like tabasco is, but still provides a little heat.
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by iBcookin (I just tend to throw...)
Here's a recipe I found:

Sambal Oelek (Indonesian Spice)

Recipe By : Jill Norman * Web File 4/97
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Mixes and Spices Oriental / Far East Indonesian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
250 g (8 oz) fresh red chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soft brown sugar

Jars of sambal can be bought in many Oriental shops and in some delicatessens, but it is quite easy to make your own, especially with a food processor. This is the most basic sambal. To make other sambals, ingredients such as trassi or blachan, a firm paste made of rotted shrimp, and candlenuts are added to the mix.

Heat a heavy frying pan and put in the chilies after 2-3 minutes. Dry roast over a medium heat for a few minutes. Cool, then chop finely and pound to a paste with the salt and sugar. The chili seeds may be taken out, or left in if you want a really fiery relish. The sambal will keep for a week or so in a jar in the refrigerator.

Another one:

Homemade Sambal Oelek

A staple in Malaysian and Thai cooking. Oelek means grinding so sambal oelek means ground chilli sambal! This can also be frozen.

Ingredients
1 lb red chilies
5 1/2 ounces garlic, peeled and chopped
5 1/2 ounces tender young ginger, peeled and chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced (white part only)
6 fluid ounces vinegar
8 ounces sugar
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon lime zest, chopped
Directions
Blend the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemon grass in a food processor or mortar and pestle.

While processing gradually add the vinegar.

Place the pureed mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Add the salt and lime zest.

Remove from the heat, cool and bottle in sterilised jars.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by bjcotton (Here's a recipe I fo...)
Oh, I found the Thai Basil Chicken recipe in the first Weeknight recipe magazine and I bet I could use this instead of jalapenos in it! I'll try and let you all know...
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by carolekv (Oh, I found the Thai...)
How funny, I did a search on MasterCook for recipes I've made using it and nothing came up. I go thru a jar every year or so, so I know I use it often....guess I've never entered the recipes in M.C. Will have to check some of my cookbooks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by cjs (How funny, I did a s...)
Oh, the recipe I found didn't actually have Sambal Olek in it, but I figured I could use it instead of the jalapenos that it does call for. I have a funny issue between my stomach and jalapenos anyway - never totally understood it, but my stomach hates those things, regardless of what my tastebuds say! Somehow, other hot things aren't quite as bad.
  Re: Re: Sambal Olek? by cjs (How funny, I did a s...)
Shame on you Jean, not recording recipes in MC.

Billy