First Banquet at the new gig a hit!
  Re: (...)
I returned to work at my new job on Monday afternoon dropping Kambree at the sitter's house for her first visit since coming home and once at work while buttoning up my whites I was informed that both the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef were off and that the "day" Sous Chef was running the show and they had put out a breakfast and lunch so far for a "retirement party" that was still to have a cocktail hour and dinner that night...some of my prep was done but for the most part it was all in my hands. I got the Sous to do my Potatoes Lyonnaise and my Shrimp Bisque and the desserts of a white chocolate Kahlua mousse and a strawberry mousse were being finished and moved to the walk-in cooler. That left the fresh green beans for me to do as well as the duet proteins...the menu called for one plate to be a pine nut, fontina, spinach and sun-dried tomato stuffed chicken breast with a herbed salmon fillet with a pistachio beurre blanc. The second choice was three jumbo scampi styled prawns and a medium rare pepper crusted filet mignon with a shallot infused Bernaise...no pressure since when I walked in I didn't know I had it all to do and a member of the sales staff "sells" a computer generated menu to the clients and I can tell you that I had NEVER made a PISTACHIO BEURRE BLANC before Monday night!

I was lucky as the "day" Sous stuck around and showed me where I was plating and helped me get everything down to the hot box and helped me plate before ending her 14 hour day...we tried all of each others creations and said that we both did a great job and then waited for the complaints...someone said their steak tasted funny, but other than that the only complaint was the banquet servers. I guess it was a success...they had two luncheons and a dinner last night but I was off. I think I have a buffet for Thursday night but am not sure so I will go in an hour early just to be sure...

Did I mention it was only the second time I had been in the kitchen of the place?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by firechef (I returned to work a...)
OKAY, so I'm confused...it turned out good, but you're still floundering....HMMM?

Well, I'm thinking you have to find your way...just like today. Hang in there...you've got it, you just gotta wait for it to "kick start" the "glamour" stuff! (GO figure, it's been a while...but just like falling off a bicycle..."Be the "chef".... You've got it!

Denise...Jean..!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by Gourmet_Mom (OKAY, so I'm confuse...)
No, not floundering, just patting myself on the back for doing the "unexpected" with things I had not done before.

It was as close as I will ever get to "Dinner:Impossible" so I figured it was worth a quick brag...

It was a blast but not what I was expecting on the first full day of working in the place. For some reason I was expecting a gradual transition not just a plunge into the spot of Banquet Chef. As a kitchen in general and company we have lots of bugs to work out to get things the way it "should" be but even with what seemed to be a deck that was stacked against me I still managed to pull it off. I must say the pistachio beurre blanc was awesome. A bit nutty so I added a couple of tablespoons of Dijon mustard to give it a bit of a tang. Nothing quite like playing with the "classics."
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by firechef (No, not floundering,...)
Oh lord there is nothing worse than being expected to perform something totally from left field that you were not prepared for.

To have both the EC and the SC off and be able to pull off a full service. NICE!!! I am interested in the sauce What did you serve it on?

LJ you never cease to amaze me Well done. I really hope Derek and I can get out your way so we can play with food. BTW I am going to the store this Friday and will send out a care package to you
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by firechef (No, not floundering,...)
Congratulations on a job well done!!! Never a doubt in my mind that you could pull it off! The food sounds delightful and I have to imagine that it will get easier as time goes by.

Now about this pistachio beurre blanc??? This sounds like something Jennifer and I need to play with.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by Harborwitch (Congratulations on a...)
Well done LJ! I guess we're all interested in the sauce. I've never even tasted a pistachio so don't know what that would be like, but I'm willing to learn. You're awesome man!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by firechef (I returned to work a...)
Sounds like you kicked butt, LJ!!! First day, those other C's off - man, you came through with flying colors!!! Congratulations - ~ ~
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by (Sounds like you kick...)
You did good, LJ!!!! With everything else going on in your life---pretty AWESOME!!!

Now about that pistachio beurre blanc---uhhh---give us the recipe----PLEASE!!!! Love pistachios and we have an overload here in the markets at the moment....must be a run on them for some strange reason!! It's usually very difficult to find them!

Always nice to meet the challenge---and pull it off!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Great job, LJ! Are you sure you don't want to come to work for me? We have a plated coming up for 280 in Oct (let's forget about the fact that it's outside and tented)

I'm glad you're happier at this position than the last one. You can utilize those talents of yours!

PJ

ETA, how's the baby doing? And, hi to Holly!
PJ
  Re: Re: First Banquet at the new gig a hit! by pjcooks (Great job, LJ! Are ...)
Good job LJ, sounds like you deserve that pat on the back!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life