Pears Pears and More Pears
  Re: (...)
A coworker gave me a huge bag of them. I need to use them up today. I don't want to make jam, jeely etc. I was thinking of baked goods, muffins, cakes, etc. I found some muffin recipes on the net, but nothing tried and true. If anyone has any recipes, especially something I can freeze, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know it's last minute, but they really ripened overnight, and the fruit flies are starting to fly. Thx!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by Lorraine (A coworker gave me a...)
Well, we peeled and cored them all, and I've put them in the fridge. Still not sure what to do with them, but, I guess I'll figure it out.
  Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by Lorraine (A coworker gave me a...)
I don't have any recipes, Lorraine, but I remember as a child our neighbor used to give us tons of pears from her tree and my mother always cut them up like in bite size pieces, put them in a little bit of sugar and water and froze them in dessert sizes - we used to eat them partially thawed - like a popsicle - gosh, I wish I had some pears now
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by (I don't have any rec...)
how about pears in red wine? I have a recipe if you want it.
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by piano226 (how about pears in r...)
Quote:

how about pears in red wine? I have a recipe if you want it.

GMTA. I was about to ask if she has any Port.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wish I'd been around, Lorraine - maybe not too late. YOu might like to use a couple of them for pear & port reduction?

Pear & Port Reduction

1 or 2 firm but ripe pear -- peeled and cut in half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 whole cloves
3 whole allspice
2 stick cinnamon -- broken in half
1 bottle ruby port or Merlot wine -- (750 ml)

Bring port, sugar, cloves, allspice and cinnamon to boil in heavy 2-qt. saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.

Reduce heat to medium low; add pears, cover and simmer 20 min. Remove pear and keep to use on a salad or fruit platter.

Strain the liquid and return to saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let reduce to a syrupy consistency - stay close, once the reduction starts, it goes quickly.

At this point you'll have to play with to get the consistency you want. I would stop when the liquid is like a maple syrup, it will thicken more as it cools.
If it's not the thickness you want after cooling, return the pan to the heat and reduce a little more. This step will just take practice.

You can use this reduction to drizzle over a salad, fruit platter ( I arrange the fruit, drizzle with the reduction and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano ), over ice cream, pound cake, hot cakes/waffles.....it's fantastic!

Tip for marking a reduction of 1/2 - measure 12 oz (approx. half of a 750 ml) of water and pour in pan you will use for reduction - stick a skewer in and mark with a pen where the level is. Discard the water and go on with the recipe - when reduction starts, every minute or so measure with your skewer till the same amount is reached. That's when the reduction will go quickly, so stay close.

Description:
"Once you have this reduction made, you will be finding all kinds of dishes and foods to drizzle it over. I use it on salads, fruit platters (and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano), ice cream, hot cakes and waffles."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
someone posted this over on c2c in '02, but I still haven't made it - I know you wanted tried and true, but this one looks like it's right up our alley....

Hello AlI:
I have spent months looking for this recipe. I am going to try it this weekend. During my searches many people asked that I share any recipe that I receive. I have been through so many sites I really don't recall which ones the requests came from so I will post to my favorite ones. Here it is:
I will use a slight variation and place more pears in the jars. I have to think that 6 pears will not fill one jar anyway. Good cooking to all. K.

Pears in Rum

6 medium pears, peeled and stems removed
zest and juice of 1 lemon
7 oz superfine sugar
12 oz white rum
1 vanilla pod
a few fresh mint leaves

1. Fill a deep saucepan with water and bring to the boil with the
lemon zest
and half the lemon juice. Plunge the pears into the pan and simmer
for 5
minutes.

2. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of cold
water and
the remaining lemon juice. When cool, transfer pears to a large
sterilized
jar and sprinkle with the sugar.

3. Pour over the rum and add the vanilla pod and mint. Seal firmly
and store
in a cool dark place, turning the jar occasionally until the sugar
is completely dissolved.
Allow to steep for 6-8 weeks before serving.

------

Oh Lorraine, this is so good - I used it for a number of tastings in California topping polenta.

WINTER FRUIT COMPOTE

Recipe By :Abigail's Hotel, Victoria, British Columbia

3/4 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c Sauterne, or other dessert wine (I used Moscato)
4 stick cinnamon
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, & cut in small chunks
1 c cranberries (fresh, frozen) I used dried and added sooner
4 pears -- preferably Bosc, peeled, cored, & cut in small chunks
1/2 c walnuts, toasted & chopped in large pieces.

Combine the sugar, water, wine, cinnamon sticks, & lemon juice in large pan.
Bring to a boil, stirring often, & boil till reduced by ~1/3, 8-10 min.
Add the apples (I added the dried cranberries here) & cook over med. heat, stirring occasionally, till just tender, 5-6 min.
Stir in the cranberries & cook for a few min. longer.

Remove the pan from heat, stir in pears, and let sit for a few min. till the liquid has cooled slightly.
Discard the cinnamon sticks & spoon the fruit & sauce into individual bowls. Sprinkle the walnuts over the compote and serve. (Note: for the polenta, I just added the nuts to the compote and served over the pcs.)

-----\\

and this is a Dave Nelson recipe -

PEAR ASTI SPUMANTI SORBET

Very fabulous and full of different flavors.

2 large pears, peeled, cored, sliced
1 cup sparkling wine like Asti Spumanti
3/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
2 tsp. fresh lemon + zest
1/4 cup whip cream
1/2 tps.. Almond extract

2 Tbs. Calvados or Pear Brandy (optional-yeah, sure)

In food processor chop up the pear. Do this lightly with pulses, you don’t want a puree.

Add the pears, wine, sugar, nutmeg and lemon in a large saucepan. Bring to a quick boil on high, reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Cool in refrigerate for 1 hour in a large pan. Stir in cream and almond.

Make it in ice cream maker, add alcohol towards end.

------

Shall I stop now???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by cjs (Wish I'd been around...)
Thanks for all the ideas. I thought of poaching them, but most were very ripe, with bruises on them. I did take a few of the best hollowed them, and stuffed them with a chopped nectarine (also very ripe), brown sugar, raisin mixture. Wrapped them in pie crust, and baked them. I was too tired to eat them, but will have them tonight.

Sonja, I froze some like you suggested. Can't wait to try them! I'm going to try subbing some of the pears fro apples in a apple muffin recipe I have. I let them drain, so I'm hoping that gets rid of some of the excess pisture.
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by Lorraine (Thanks for all the i...)
Somewhere, at home I have a wonderful recipe for a marinade for steaks that uses pears, whitewine, and jalapenos - it's really good. When I get home this afternoon I'll post it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by Harborwitch (Somewhere, at home I...)
Can't wait for that one...the future in-laws have a neighbor with lots of pears available for anyone that will take them off their hands, trees, lawns, and everywhere else they may be in over abundance...

The steak recipe sounds different and has the imagination running wild!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pears Pears and More Pears by firechef (Can't wait for that ...)
I just remembered where it is - too bad I'm not home, it's in my Sussanah Foo cookbook. She is truly amazing in the combinations that she comes up with. I'll post it when I get home.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!