I need your expertise.
  Re: (...)
The priest at my church is asking people to volunteer to cook one meal (dinner or supper, whatever you call your evening meal)a month for him. I thought, this would be easy enough for me when I was cooking dinner for my family to make a plate for him and deliver it. Upon talking to him I discovered that there are a couple of things that I need to take into consideration.

Fr. Mac has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He does not have to take insulin as he is able to control it with his diet. I know that I will need to do some reading about cooking for a diabetic but does anyone have any tips about this type of diet? The other issue is, whatever meal I make needs to be able to be frozen in case an emergency arises he he has to leave. In consideration of this I have thought of some dishes but am not sure about a couple of things, does cooked pasta freeze and reheat well? What about potatoes (such as mashed)? I know you can buy frozen entrees at the grocer that have potatoes and pasta in them but is there something that I need to do so that they re-heat well?

I know soups freeze and re-heat pretty easily so I will probably include a couple of these as well. But beyond meatballs, lasagna, soup, chili do you have any suggestions?

Lots of questions.....
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: I need your expertise. by mlucas1 (The priest at my chu...)
I am no expert, but I do know that simple carbs turn to sugar in your body. A whole grain pasta would be preferable to the regular. Diabetics are supposed to limit carbs. There are limits on fruits as well. Is this man overweight? If so you may want to follow a low fat diet plan as well. If you have the soup, stew, and chili cookbook, the lentil soup and white chicken chili would be great choices.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: I need your expertise. by chef_Tab (I am no expert, but ...)
How about beef stroganoff and shepard pie?
  Re: Re: I need your expertise. by chef_Tab (I am no expert, but ...)
The Ratatouille Chicken Thighs would be a good choice, I would think, but I'd probably forgo the polenta. Someone with more experience with diabetes would be able to comment on that. Then there are several meatloaf recipes we have all reviewed and liked. Just load him up on lots of GOOD veggies rather than starches.

Are you going to freeze the meal and deliver, or let him freeze if needed. I'd almost be tempted to make the meal BEFORE my day to cook and freeze it, maybe even in food saver bags. Then he can boil and serve or stick it straight in the freezer if he has an emergency.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I need your expertise. by piano226 (How about beef strog...)
Quote:

How about beef stroganoff and shepard pie?

Beef Stroganoff is usually served with noodles - carbohydrates. Shepherd's Pie is made with mashed potatoes - also carbs.

Maybe something like a Chicken Caesar Salad would be tasty, filling, and low in carbs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I need your expertise. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Darn, my neighbor has just been diagnosed with diabetes and I loaned her my binder with all my info that I collected when my daughter was diagnosed and we were working up dinners for her and also some personal cheffing I did for a diabetic.

The stroganoff sounds good and why not serve it over/with brown rice or quinoa - they both freeze very well.

and here's a treat for him -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Diabetic Devil's Food Cake

1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar (or substitute)
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup margarine -- room temperature

Stir together cocoa and boiling water until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temp.

Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in mixer bowl and mix at low speed about 1 minute to blend. Add egg substitute, sweetener, and vanilla to cocoa mixture and mix well. Add margarine to dry ingredients along with cocoa mixture and mix well at medium speed about 1 minute. Pour into 9" square or 9x13 cake pan that has been greased with margarine.

Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean and cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool in the pan and cut 6x3 to yield 18 pieces.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Just a thought that may help out. Some of those people out there may have some 'Foodsaver' tips for boil-in-the-bag stuff. If you have a Foodsaver.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas! Fr. Mac is not overweight that I can see. He is about 6'4" and pretty average. So, his weight is not a consideration.

Now that a couple of people have mentioned it, I remember when I had gestational diabetes with my daughter the carb consideration.

I like to use the Barilla pasta in the yellow box which has more protein, so that might be okay for him. Of course, yesterday at the Stewardship Fair I saw him eat a few cookies and have coffee with cream etc. I guess he isn't strictly following his diet but taking it into consideration would be nice.

I am not sure about the freezing ahead idea. He does have some room in his freezer. I asked him and he said he has a side by side refrig so he does have some freezer storage. I was thinking that I would make several dishes and give them to him and let Fr. Mac do as he likes with him. Since he put it out to the entire parish that he is looking for volunteers for this, I think he will be getting several meals from different sources. (for his sake I hope so!)

These are the ideas for meals I have so far:
meatloaf
meatballs w/spaghetti
lentil soup
American Chop Suey (he really likes this dish!)
(my personal favorite) chicken piccata w/angel hair pasta
chili

thanks for all of your help with this!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: I need your expertise. by mlucas1 (Thank you everyone f...)
" I saw him eat a few cookies and have coffee with cream etc. "

His middle name wouldn't be Gil, would it??? I'm hoping Jean gets her binder back soon and posts some ideas.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.