Panettone
  Re: (...)
From King Arthur Flour

This traditional Italian holiday bread will stay fresh longer when it's made with an overnight starter.

Biga (Overnight Starter)
3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/16 teaspoon yeast (just a pinch)
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) water

Dough
all of the biga (above)
2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia flavoring (available at KAF)OR 1 teaspoon vanilla + 1/8 teaspoon orange oil
2 1/4 teaspoons SAF Gold instant yeast OR 1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/3 cup (2 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup (3 ounces) golden raisins
1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) slivered dried apricots
1/2 cup (2 ounces) dried cranberries or flavored fruit bits
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) dried pineapple, chopped
2 tablespoons orange or lemon zest

The Biga: Combine the biga ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl, cover, and allow them to rest overnight (8 to 12 hours).

Dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients except the fruit, and mix and knead them together—by hand, mixer or bread machine—till you've made a soft, smooth dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it's puffy (though not necessarily doubled in bulk). Gently deflate the dough, and knead in the fruits and zest.

Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a panettone pan or other straight-sided, tall 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan. Cover the pan and let the dough rise till it's just crested over the rim of the pan, about 1 hour.

Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes; reduce the oven heat to 375°F and bake an additional 10 minutes; then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 25 minutes, tenting with aluminum foil if the crust appears to be browning too quickly. Remove the panettone from the oven and cool completely.

I used candied citron, lemon peel, and (I think) the pineapple.

Fantastic stuff, very festive. It makes great French toast and a bread pudding that is to die for.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Panettone by Harborwitch (From King Arthur Flo...)
While I have NEVER been a bread pudding fan OR fruit cake fan, I think I have GOT to make this for the holidays. Of course, I'll have to make a few test trials to be sure it is family/friend "gift" worthy. Yea, right, that's the plan.

Now let me say, since you no longer need it, pass that tent along! I think I've found somebody who will need it REAL soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Panettone by Harborwitch (From King Arthur Flo...)
Thanks Sharon! How did you know that I was planning to make that this year for the holidays? It's definately got to be better than the store bought kind. What a nice gift this would make. I wonder if the cake supply store would have some kind of box for packing? I'll have to check.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Panettone by Mare749 (Thanks Sharon! How ...)
Too heck with the Holidays...I want to make this NOW! Might just skip eating it and go right to the bread pudding...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Panettone by firechef (Too heck with the Ho...)
The last time I made it we did just that. Just went for the bread pudding.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!