Panettone bread pudding
  Re: (...)
This was the first bread pudding I ever made. It was after the holidays and I had some Panettone and egg nog left over - pretty much a no brainer, just modified the richest bread pudding recipe I could find.

Panettone bread pudding

Ingredients
1 1-pound panettone cut into 1/2-inch cubes
8 large eggs
4 cups high quality commercial egg nog (do not use low fat!)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Frangelico, rum, brandy, or amaretto
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preparation
Place bread cubes in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Whisk l remaining ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Pour over bread cubes. Let stand 30 minutes, occasionally pressing bread into custard mixture. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 350. Bake until pudding is set in center, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Panettone bread pudding by Harborwitch (This was the first b...)
Have I mentioned I could live on Egg Nog??? I had NEVER had it until I met Holly and she got me addicted for it and I have yet to find a 12-step support group for the stuff but I must say the withdrawals could be some of the worst ever once the holidays wind down and it goes away from the dairy cases...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by firechef (Have I mentioned I c...)
Oh I'm the same way - there is no 12 step program. Cold turkey is the only way. We always used to put rum or brandy, or both in it. Now it's strictly Maker's Mark bourbon in the egg nog. I can't wait for the holidays!
  Re: Panettone bread pudding by Harborwitch (This was the first b...)
This looks too good!! Who in their right mind would drink low-fat eggnog?????? LOLOL
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by (This looks too good!...)
Certainly not me! I'm not sure why they even sell it. Gaaaack!
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by Harborwitch (Certainly not me! [i...)
You can spike egg nog???? Dang Holly has been holding out on me! So Bourbon is the spirit of choice for egg nog? Gotta try that this year. I've just been opening the carton and drinking it in one sitting...I know it isn't good for me but I figure it isn't a daily drink.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by firechef (You can spike egg no...)
Bourbon is my spirit of choice - of course, ask anyone, it's always my spirit of choice!!! In eggnog it is absolutely the BEST!
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by Harborwitch (Bourbon is my spirit...)
LJ, while clicking through the Pioneer Woman site, I found this and thought of you. While I think I'll be making the one that Sharon posted, I thought you may be interested in this one. It's a pretty basic recipe like most of her stuff, but what I thought was cool about this was the Whiskey Cream Sauce she used with it.

The Best Bread Pudding
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 to 5 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup pecans, chopped finely
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat together eggs, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add sugar and mix until sugar is dissoved. Arrange bread cubes tightly in a nine-inch baking dish, keeping the crust facing up around the edges in scattered within the dish. Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle pecans all over and bake for 55 to 70 minutes, or until crust is golden brown all over the top.
While the bread pudding is baking, make the Whiskey Cream Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Stir constantly over low heat until mixture reaches a low boil. Pour a small amount over the individual servings of bread pudding.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by Gourmet_Mom (LJ, while clicking t...)
Daphne, this looks very good - it is super similar to one that Emeril has called New Orleans Bread Pudding that has a bourbon sauce plus a spiced cream sauce. I make it during the holidays - it is the only bread pudding that I can get the children and grandies to eat
  Re: Re: Panettone bread pudding by (Daphne, this looks v...)
I'll have to check that one out, too, Sonja! I still want to make the one Sharon posted. The egg nog and Panettone looks like it would make it extra special.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.