The Dizzy Pig
  Re: (...)
Thank you Sharon, for telling us about this website. Finally found an explanation for why it takes so long to cook a big piece of pork in the smoker. (We never did this before and sure didn't know what we were missing!)

From the Dizzy Pig website:
A digital remote thermometer will allow me to monitor the internal temperature of the meat as it cooks. Cooking at an average of 225-240°F at grill level, these two roasts will take anywhere from 1.25 to 2 hours per lb to cook. They will settle into what is known as ‘the plateau’ for an extended period during the cooking process. This is the point where the majority of heat energy from the burning charcoal is going into the breaking down of fats and connective tissue in the meat and therefore, the internal temperature as read on the remote thermometer will stall for a period of hours. When a majority of the fats and tissues have been rendered, the roasts will resume their climb in internal temperature, and when desired final temp is reached, they are removed from the cooker. A roast is finished to the point of being sliceable around 170°F and over and ‘pullable’ at 195°F and above. Some cooks say 200°F is ideal, some even go to 210° or more.

The rest of the article provides info on the rub (didn't know it should be course) and injection liquid. Very helpful when you are new to this.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: The Dizzy Pig by Mare749 (Thank you Sharon, fo...)
good info to know - I didn't know the whys either.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Isn't that a cool website! I'm so excited about this "new" medium. Now I'm on the hunt for different woods, Prague 1 powder, and more knowledge!

One of the guys on Smokingmeatforums asked if we wanted to come up to a "Dutch Oven" gathering in Jamestown next weekend. Bob and I are thinking about it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Thanks for the reminder, Maryann. I've booked the site for when we get a smoker. (noticed I didn't say "if")
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by Lorraine (Thanks for the remin...)
Don't forget the site www.thesmokering.com it is a good bbq/smoker site as well. They have interesting forums as well!

You know the subject line of this thread is a bit misleading...I almost wondered if it was about a mixed drink or a drunk swine episode???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by firechef (Don't forget the sit...)
" A roast is finished to the point of being sliceable around 170°F and over and ‘pullable’ at 195°F and above. Some cooks say 200°F is ideal, some even go to 210° or more."

Mare & Sharon - I just reread this and do they really recommend pulling the pork (or whatever) at these internal temperatures??? I went to the site, but couldn't find anything but ads for smokers....

I pull my pork at 145 F. - I guess the only thing I'd cook to those temperatures would be a 'pulled' pork to be shredded. Is that what they were referring to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by cjs (" A roast is finishe...)
That's what they're referring to. We pulled our brisket before then because slices are easier for Bob to manage in a sandwich than shreds. They're talking about the melt in your mouth, like "butta", pulled pork.

Uh, not sure I'm quite that patient - but working on it!
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by Harborwitch (That's what they're ...)
We like both, and of course, it depends on how patient you are. For anyone just starting out, I highly recommend taking notes each time you use your smoker, since there are so many different rubs, injections, types of wood, and timing methods.

For example, on Wednesday, Ron used a branch from our apple tree instead of the dried chunks that can be purchased just for smoking. (Thank you, LJ) We liked the lighter flavor from using wet wood better on ribs. Then I used an applewood smoked habanero sauce to heat up my final glaze. Fabulous.

thesmokering.com index that LJ and Sharon mentioned is just amazing. No end to what you can learn!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by Mare749 (We like both, and of...)
We're having so much fun. I'm looking forward to lots and lots of playing.
  Re: Re: The Dizzy Pig by Harborwitch (We're having so much...)
Hey powers that be at C@H how about a special or regular issue on SMOKING??? Not just grilling but actual smoking! Come on in-house Chefs you can do it...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)