Pork Roast Suggestions - Help?
  Re: (...)
Hello everyone!

I usually lurk here quite a bit, but seldom post. You all seem so friendly and know each other so well I almost feel like I am eavesdropping .

I was hoping for some suggestions on a pork roast bone-in. I got one at the supermarket the other day on sale and I want to cook it. But I am just not in the mood for an ordinary pork roast. Any suggestions on seasoning, or cooking it to give a little pizzazz.

I guess what I should be asking is this: "What is YOUR favorite way to cook a bone-in pork roast?"

Thank you in advance for suggestions.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by iCook (Hello everyone![br][...)
My absolute favourite is the Cuban way: Lechon Asado. I introduced my parents to this, a while back, and it has become one they keep on making.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by labradors (My absolute favourit...)
Labradors,

This looks very good. For some reason, it reminds me of being in Florida and having one of those Cuban sandwiches. I don't remember the name, but those are so good.

I have never tried plantains, but have always been meaning to. I think you just fry them up.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by iCook (Labradors,[br][br]Th...)
Is it a loin pork roast? If so, this is a very tasty way to do. It's an old, old recipe - but never goes out of favor in my family.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN BARBECUED PORK ROAST

3 -5 lb. loin of pork roast
1 can tomato soup
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 drops tabasco sauce

Roast the loin of pork, uncovered in a 325 F. oven for 45 minutes.

While the pork is roasting, combine the sauce ingredients and after the 45 minutes spoon over the roast making sure the sauce goes between the partial slices.
Continue roasting, spooning the sauce over the meat two or three times until the pork reaches 145 F. or another 45-55 minutes.

Finish slicing through the roast for individual portions and spoon sauce over each slice.

Description:
"Cut partially through the loin roast between the ribs to allow the sauce to cover as much of the roast as possible. Baked potatoes go very well with this dish, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by labradors (My absolute favourit...)
Right up my alley! Thank you for sharing that! It just sounds fantastic.

A note to those unable to get Seville oranges, regular orange juice and an equal amount of fresh lime juice will work as a substitute.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by iCook (Labradors,[br][br]Th...)
Quote:

... those Cuban sandwiches. I don't remember the name, but those are so good.

Actually, they're just called "Cuban Sandwiches," unless they use softer, yellow, egg bread, and maybe leave off the ham, then they're "Medianoches."
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"....I have never tried plantains, but have always been meaning to. I think you just fry them up"

iCook, when I can get them, I slice at an angle, fry them in a little oil til just a bit crunchy, drain on paper towel, and shake sugar on them.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by farnfam ("....I have never tr...)
Quote:

"....I have never tried plantains, but have always been meaning to. I think you just fry them up"

iCook, when I can get them, I slice at an angle, fry them in a little oil til just a bit crunchy, drain on paper towel, and shake sugar on them.

Also, the Cubans and the Ricans often use corn oil for the frying. Here, they just use regular vegetable oil.

Depending upon the ripeness and how your prepare them, they have the following names:
  • Tajadas ("sliced") - Unripe plantains in thin or thick slices. When thinner, they are almost like thick potato chips.
  • Tostones (in Mexico, a "fifty-cent coin") - Unripe plantains sliced, then crushed (sometimes in a special press, other times, with a plate) and fried.
  • Maduros ("ripe") - Ripe (or very ripe) plantains sliced, then fried until soft and the outsides are caramelised.
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
All very interesting suggestions.

Regarding the plantains, I just saw a show with Alton Brown that featured plantains. It sounds like I would prefer the unripe plantains since they are not as sweet. Correct me if I am thinking wrong, but I don't really care for sweet potatoes, so I think I wouldn't care for really ripe plantains. The Tostones that Labradors suggested would be my first choice. I think.

As for the roast, I believe it was a bone-in shoulder roast about 6 lbs. It was on sale for $1 per pound so I have nothing much to lose.

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Pork Roast Suggestions - Help? by iCook (All very interesting...)
" It was on sale for $1 per pound so I have nothing much to lose. "

Not much to lose, but I'm thinking you'll have a great supper!!! Would shoulder be a good cut done in a slow cooker?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.